Shoes breaking

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Canadaguyy, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Canadaguyy

Canadaguyy Regular Member

My shoes keep breaking on my non racket leg where the shoe slides when I take shots at the net. On average, I have to buy a new pair around every 2 months. Any tips on what I could do to prevent this? Ive seen someone in the forum that recommended to apply clear tape on the outside of the shoe where it keeps breaking, any other recommendations?
    Thanks

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How often are you playing and what model shoe are you using?

3. Canadaguyy

Previous model was victor a780 but now im using victor a970nitrolite. I play 1-2x per day for about 1.5-2 hours per session.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That’s a lightweight shoe. Your training load is quite a lot so two months is within expectations.

5. ambsace

ambsace Regular Member

One option that would give you a bit more runway is to buy multiple pairs and rotate amongst them if you can spare the expense and storage space. I've never tried it myself for badminton but when I used to jog frequently, I'd have a 2-3 pairs in rotation for training alone and 1 pair for race days. I cycle now and more or less do the same with my bib shorts, reserving the best for the longer weekend rides or Grand Fondos.

EDIT: Granted, the more I think about it, the less sure it will be effective in your case as you are dealing more with a frictional force on the upper as opposed to compression of insole / midsole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ambsace, Mar 29, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  6. Canadaguyy

Makes sense. Now I have a pair that I use on my own court and another for practices in school gyms and tournaments so maybe they will last a little longer especially since the ones I use at my own court are a bit more durable.

7. browning

browning Regular Member

I also had a pair of Asics shoes that ripped apart from my heavy landing. To make them last as long as possible I used structurally reinforcing duct tape (I think one brand is called Gorilla Tape) on the INSIDE of the shoe (take out the insole first) and the outside. After that I bought a couple of pairs of Mizuno Wave Claw 2 shoes - although they aren't quite as comfortable for me and apart from some wear of the inner heel lining and insole they have been rock solid - no tears no rips nothing between the sole and upper - playing 3x a week (6 hours) for 12 months now and still using the first pair which will last at least another 6 months at least.