Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. yuon

yuon Regular Member

The Biprogy player, Sugiyama Kaoru, who is a recent high school graduate, beat Takahashi Asuka in one of the S/J League matches earlier this year. Takahashi took revenge in their next match-up though. Biprogy seems to be grooming her to take over from Takahashi Sayaka. She played the WS for most, if not all, of the Biprogy's S/J League matches.

2. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Didn't manage to watch the match today, but it was a straight game win for Miyazaki. The WS semi-finalists are Takahashi Asuka, Nidaira Natsuki, Kurihara Akari, and Miyazaki Tomoka. Miyazaki will be facing Nidaira tomorrow.

MS matches are still in progress but, surprisingly, Igarashi Yu won over Tanaka Yushi and, less surprisingly, Watanabe Koki beat Kawamoto Takuma.

Incidentally, Shimoda Hashiru has now ventured into the realm of XD. He has made it to the semi-finals with Shigeta Miku of ACT SAIKYO.

3. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Finally, we'll get to see the most exciting WS final of the Ranking Circuit in ages! Two new faces, with the 16 year old Miyazaki Tomoka breezing through to the final in straight games! College student, Kurihara Akari, who downed Takahashi Asuka will be her opponent tomorrow. Miyazaki stands a good chance of winning this tournament.

She is more than ready to replace Okuhara and Ohori in Team A. All that's left is for her to raise her ranking, and with the way she is playing, this will no doubt happen soon. I'm looking forward to see her play WS2 for the Uber Cup team. It would be a waste for her to play 3rd single only.

And he has made it into the final. At least he'll have a 3rd chance with XD. His venture into MD has been a disaster.

4. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yep, can you believe it!! WS seeds no. 1 and 2 knocked off their pedestal. I thought that Miyazaki might win, but, honestly-speaking, I did not expect a victory from Kurihara. And I am really happy for Shimono! Getting to the final in a new discipline is an achievement. He and his partner were seeded at no. 19.

As far as MS is concerned, without Tanaka, Watanabe Koki seems to be the favourite. But he does not have the best of domestic records.

5. kurako

kurako Regular Member

True to form, Watanabe Koki lost to an emotionally-charged Takahashi Koo, the latter yelping after every point he won. So tomorrow we have Koga Minoru (for the umpteenth time) versus Takahashi, ...with no ramifications for National Team A selection.

6. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

I saw Shimono play MS once and was very convinced that he has great talent but lack stamina. Maybe, he knew this and decided to try MD. Now, I wish him well in XD.

If only he has stamina he will be a very good MS player. Just cannot understand what it would take for Tanaka Yushi to become consistent. Perhaps more sparring with Naraoka??

Sent from my XQ-BT52 using Tapatalk

7. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I, too, enjoyed Shimono's aggressive and solid play-style, and hope that Obayashi will be able to replicate some of it, ... but with a little more success.

I am rooting for Shimono tomorrow. :)

Pcyl likes this.
  8. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Among MS Japan, Momota seems to be the only one who could show consistency. Unfortunately, lately he has been showing consistency in another way. But after Perodua Malaysian Master, (i hope I'm not wrong).. I'm seeing signs of Momota making a comeback. Have a feeling he has found the right path / process of regaining his ability to attack and defend.

Sent from my SM-T385L using Tapatalk

9. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Takahashi was just getting everything back, even when I thought that there was no way he was going to get there in time. His attacks seem to have gotten better too. I was starting to write him off because his international result has been lacking. He's the only one of the steady Team B MS to have not won anything in the past 2 years so this is some good progress from him, but I fear he won't be able to keep this kind of pace up over time. It makes for some pretty spectacular rallies, but I feel exhausted for him just watching from the couch.

10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Kurihara Akari is crowned the Ranking Circuit queen for 2023, winning over Miyazaki Tomoka in straight games. Unfortunately, I did not watch the match, but the scoreline of 21-13, 21-13 suggests that her strategy was spot-on. Kurihara is a 4th-year university student (U. of Tsukuba); I wonder who is going to employ her next year?

And, although they were totally off the radar, Shimono (Tonami)/Shigeta (ACT SAIKYO) won the XD category! As they are employed by different companies in totally different regions of the country, I do not imagine that they had much time to practice together. This makes their win even more remarkable.

Bieffe likes this.
  11. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Miyazaki made more mistakes in the first game than she did all week. It looked to me like the pressure of expectation got to her. Her movements were very stiff. Kurihara did play a very good match, no doubt, but the scoreline should have been much closer. I think it will be a much tighter match the next time they meet. This should be a good experience for her to learn how to deal with the pressure. A lot of people will be expecting her to defend her WJC title this summer and the pressure there will be much more than what she had experienced this week.

12. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Miyazaki continues to be very impressive for a 16 year old. She just won the Saipan International, beating Kim Ga Ram, of whom she lost to in the final of last week's Northern Marianas Open. This is her 3rd final in three tournaments in three weeks, counting the recently concluded Ranking Circuit. On her way to the title, she also took out Takahashi Asuka.

One more tournament to go for Miyazaki in Guatemala next week with the national junior team. Looking at the draw, it should be a comfortable path to the title, unless she has nothing left to give. If she can keep this up, she might even make it into the top 32 by next year. Even if she doesn't, given that she's still just an 11th grader who still needs to pass her high school classes, a spot on Team A is practically already secured.

visor likes this.
  13. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yes, Miyazaki is certainly showing potential. The fact that she won over Takahashi Asuka in the Saipan International shows her standing within the National B Team. She is looking good, but she will probably need to secure a top 4 spot in the All Japan Championships this year to earn a spot on the A Team in 2024. The coaching team, in any event, will be hesitant to reshuffle in the run-up to the Paris Olympics.

Obayashi won the MS category of the same tournament. His match against Muramoto Ryoma in the QF was of most interest to me, as the latter had marked a victory over the no. 1 seed, Kevin Cordon.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That’s a long trip

15. yuon

yuon Regular Member

This could be the case, but realistically, the only one going to Paris will be Yamaguchi. Ohori can barely keep herself in the top 32 so dropping her for Miyazaki wouldn't make any difference. Okuhara, with her recurring injuries, might just announce her retirement by the end of the year. Gunji is still far away in her ranking, and still nursing her injury, but she probably has a better chance of staying on the team due to her younger age.

But even if Ohori does get dropped, I think the NBA will still let her play in the tournaments that she could qualify for, like how they're letting Nidaira and Kawakami play in the Super 500 and up tournaments even though they're officially in Team B. Many people are expressing the opinion that Miyazaki is already at the Team A level so I think there will be a lot of angry voices if the coaching team does not include her in the selection, especially if she continues to get good international results. That being said, I would certainly not be surprised if Miyazaki makes it all the way to the final of the AJC if Okuhara continues to be a no show.

16. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

Interesting to see Miyazaki playing doubles as well. Not too sure what Bird Japan is planning for her but maybe just for more experience on the international stage.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

17. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Shida/Matsuyama continue their campaign to avoid the next Olympic Games at all cost by losing to a Higashino/Nakanishi scratch pair at the All Japan Business Championships.

Saishunkan goes down 0-3 overall.

trizzforce and visor like this.
  18. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

May I know where I can watch this?

19. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Don't worry. These points only count towards their domestic ranking. ;)

It is certainly the most competitive category, though.

20. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The NBA has announced the line-up for the Asian Games to be held from September 23 in Hangzhou:

MS:
    Naraoka Kodai
    Nishimoto Kenta
    Tsuneyama Kanta (Team Event)
    Momota Kento (Team Event)

WS:
    Yamaguchi Akane
    Ohori Aya
    Kawakami Saena (Team Event)
    Nidaira Natsuki (Team Event)

MD:
    Hoki/Kobayashi
    Saito/Koga

WD:
    Shida/Matsuyama
    Fukushima/Hirota

XD:
    Watanabe/Higashino
    Yamashita/Shinoya

Tsuneyama, Momota, Kawakami, and Nidaira are expected to be deployed in the Team Event (3 singles/2 doubles for both Men and Women); unfortunately, none of the points earned in the team event count towards Paris.

Cunning Linguist likes this.