Wrist injury, how much time to recover, and how to recover faster?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Toporik1, May 30, 2023.

1. Toporik1

Toporik1 New Member

Hello, I've been playing badminton for about 2 years, 3 times a week for 2 hours.

At some point, the wrist ached, it was felt only at the moment of hitting the shuttlecock. I played like this for another week, the pain was, but tolerable. After a week's rest, I tried to play - severe pain during some strokes, exactly at the moment of hitting the shuttlecock.

At rest, the wrist almost does not bother, I rotate completely, bend in any direction.

The only thing that hurts is to rest on the palm at 90 degrees, it starts to hurt on the back of the wrist.

The insurance doctor said it might be tendinitis or tendovaginitis.

Prescribed 2 weeks of rest and NSAIDs.

Has anyone come across this? How long did it take to recover and return to badminton?

2. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

See a Physiotherapist if you can.

2 weeks to 2 months is the likely time it will take to heal, and there could be exercises you can do to strengthen the wrist in the meantime.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

4. Chris88SG

Chris88SG Regular Member

Have stopped playing badminton for many years til recently than got a bad wrist sprain. Mine has been two weeks and still painful. Mainly because I did not allow it to recover fully before playing. Have been using K-tapes and pain patches. I am still unable to do forehand clears without feeling the sharp pain. Backhand is not an issue. I guess it will take longer than that. I think it is important to stop playing til it fully recovers else it will aggravate the injury again. Meanwhile, you can do other kinds of exercises to keep fit.

From ChatGPT:
    [​IMG]

BadmintonDave likes this.
  5. baddiechan

baddiechan Regular Member

ChatGPT wasn't up to date on the current literature, RICE is an outdated approach to managing injury. In 2015 the founder of the method Dr Mirkin said that there was almost no evidence ice aids in the healing process. Yes it does provide relief to pain and swelling but it's not meant to be used over the time of the injury.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/is-it-time-to-rethink-rice-for-soft-tissue-injurie

I had issues with my wrist a few years ago, it was RSI from excessive typing at work and it impacted my ability to play badminton. I reduced the amount of badminton, rested by using my keyboard less and took some joint supplements. The reading I did pointed to non-prescription supplements with Glucosamine & Chondroitin with MSM - ideal ratio being 5:4 of Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

https://au.iherb.com/pr/doctor-s-be...VUZNmAh1U3wC_EAQYASABEgL1CfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://athleanx.com/athleanrx/mechan-x <- the ratio of ingredients is mentioned

I recommend:
    1. Seeing a physiotherapist or watching videos to learn more about what the issue is (tests you can perform on yourself)
    2. Get enough rest but also doing exercises/even stretching can strengthen your tendons
    3. Try a joint recovery supplement - may or may not work for you