Badminton photography 2022 onwards

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by Cheung, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This picture from another post caught my eye

The shuttle is right on the strings. With the eye of faith, the strings look like they are stretching under the shuttle base.

16 FPS mechanical shutter rarely gets the shuttle right in the strings. I guess this picture must be a electronic shutter of at least 30 FPS.

I read some feature on one electronic camera that even before the shutter is pressed, it has recorded images just before you press the shutter. The camera must sense being lifted into position and already autofocussing and processing data before the shutter is pressed. Most of that data must be automatically discarded and not written to the card. That’s a really fantastic feature.

Another feature that’s really interesting is eye detection with the AF following the eyes of the subject and also detecting what you’re looking at. My eye has some astigmatism so I wonder how the camera would cope with using my eye.

Just to say, these high end cameras cost a huge amount of money and you would need to invest in a new computer to handle all those images.

It is possible for you to select a few photos in a sequence within camera and delete the others which aren’t useful. That would speed up the download process considerably.

Personally, I like to have a slight blur of the shuttle to give some perception of movement.

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  2. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I've shot at tournament last weekend with a Sony A7 IV, set at 6 FPS (I don't have the new card format with high speed writing). I would say 16 FPS is plenty. Of course more is better but you will need a huge amount of memory.

Olympus had this feature (Om 1) for some years now. When you half press the shutter, the camera begins to buffer until you really press the shutter. You then have 15 or so pictures before the actual press the button.

Cheung likes this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    have you had any issues with rolling shutter?

4. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I never shoot with the electronic shutter to avoid rolling shutter and banding. Even with the mechanical shutter, I got inconsistency with the light switching.

The Sony A7 IV has a really slow read out so it would probably suffer from serious rolling shutter, especially with the speed of the rackets.

I will try to shoot with the electronic shutter and update the post

#4 akatsuki2104, Nov 12, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    speCulatius and Cheung like this.