Backhand clears, drops, slices

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Hitman989, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Hitman989

Hitman989 Regular Member

I'm a recreational player and have been playing about 3 years (twice a week). I must have watched hundreds or thousands of different YouTube videos on how to execute backhand clears, drops/slices. I try to practice them and have been unsuccessful to say the least. It's just not easy to grasp the YouTubers claim to be. Is it worthwhile to hire an instructor (spending lots of money of course) to just teach this particular technique?

2. Joran

Joran Regular Member

It is hard for us to give you any advice when we can't see how your technique is at the moment.
    Try asking a friend to film it for you and compare it to the professional video's.
    In most ocassions bad backhands are al about timing. Recreational players will often hit it too close or too far from their body.
    Also hitting a backhand when the shuttle has gone past you is almost impossible (to generate decent power).

Mason likes this.
  3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Every player in a club should have had coaching, it should be a criminal offense not to!

I don't think you'd have to spend lots of money on coaching just to learn a backhand drop. A high percentage of badminton players can do a backhand drop, even with very poor technique, and they may have had some coaching.. You can have a session and see how it progresses.

Backhand clear is another matter Most badminton players never develop a good backhand clear. Just look at badminton clubs and even players that have had coaching.

Really if looking at coaching, you may find one of the most important thing to learn is doubles positioning. Then other people that have had coaching will look forward to playing with you and tell you how good it is playing with you, and you could progress to playing in better clubs.

You worry about spending "lots of money", but it's not in one go. It's week by week, for as long as the coach is available and you want to. Also, you say "I must have watched hundreds or thousands of different YouTube video" Think about all the time you are spending.

#3 ralphz, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Hitman989 and dnewguy like this.
  4. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello,

YES.
    It is the most ideal, fastest & injury free way to achieve the intended goal.

With twice a week recreational games how much 'money' one can aptly spend is a purely subjective matter.

Let me clear my side that I have been also playing for about 06 years now, mostly Mens Doubles(Mavis 350), never received any formal training so my backhand game is also nothing to brag about.

Drops,clears from BH corner success rate : 3/5 (clears dont reach baseline, only mid court)

But I have seen kids much younger making better BH clears after a few months coaching. Adults start seeing results after only 1 month (that's subjective too imho).

For all these years I have ignored my BH because with our small group of recreational players I was able to compensate with my speed and power.
    But I have started working on it again, try to play more BH rather than going overhead across.

Cheers.

P.s :- I play with Carlton Blade 3000 (4u, head lite). My BH clears are better with a 3u,head heavy racquet.

Hitman989 likes this.
  5. Hitman989

Hitman989 Regular Member

I will sign up for one lesson of 1 on 1 with an instructor and see how it goes. Thanks for all the feedback.