[Video] Can a Grommet save your life?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Feb 10, 2020.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That sounds quite weird tbh. As said, if you're careful with screwing in the tool, it's a very rare thing that a head breakes off. If it happens and if everything else fails (like pushing it out wit an awl or a new grommet), use a 2.0 mm drill and some hand drill tool to drill out the remains from the hole. Or you can use a grommet grinder of course.

2. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Didn't know you made videos! Watching now! Pretty sick!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

My go to tool!

4. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I am lazy, I don't flare my grommets =)

5. MoonJogger

MoonJogger Regular Member

Thanks alot @s_mair , you gave me the courage to change the grommets on my own now.

kakinami and s_mair like this.
  6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And it wasn’t a big deal, right? Glad to hear that the video was helpful.

thyrif likes this.
  7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You forgot to add „yet“ there. Curious to hear if you decided to order one of the pliers and how you get along with it.

Oh and by the way, it’s an honour to have you as the 100th subscriber to my channel.

#27 s_mair, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
    kakinami likes this.
  8. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I was maybe looking at the cold press, but was wondering if it flattens out the grommet too much that it makes it thinner rather than having no flare? Does a heated grommet flare better than a cold press? What do you prefer?

9. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

An honour? Why? I am the lucky one and everyone else, you are the one making informative, by the way freakin awesome, videos, I like the way they are edited! What has @kwun done lately? =) I don't see him posting any videos while C-19 is around, well I guess he has a family, so I can forgive him for not making any videos although now his sons are older maybe they can make stringing videos! Thanks for the videos, they are awesome! If you pose the question to most forum readers @s_mair rocks more than me, more informative and gives more feedback. Please, I am more honoured and grateful for your input and videos. AK vs s_mair on technical stringing and knowledge, hands down s_mair wins!

kwun, s_mair and Super85 like this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Come on, let’s not overdo this. But... thanks... wife just asked me who I was texting with since apparently I was noticeably blushing.
    But seriously, I’ve learned so much from your videos and comments in here - so it’s clear who is the master and who is the student.

Regarding the flaring pliers, I still prefer the simple cold press pliers. The results of the heated ones are not worth the hassle to deal with the power chord and having the risk of burning yourself or forgetting to unplug it. Maybe the perfect compromise would be the non-heated version of the same pliers (see https://m.de.aliexpress.com/item/40...tedetail&spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.f5c22e0eGfBagj). I didn’t have that one to test in the video, but in theory it would be best solution overall. And the price is fair too. I think @DuckFeet ordered that one in the meantime, so maybe he can add anything here.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    COVID-19 stops all badminton actions here. No one is playing so no rackets to string, even clients who has rackets with me asked me to hold on stringing them until the gym opens up. I have urge to make stringing videos but unfortunately what's holding me up is the time and my lack of editing skills.

kakinami likes this.
  12. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Don't you have a bunch of rackets at home? You can practice stringing anytime! I have been cutting string out of rackets just to practice for fun. Your editing skills are good enough to make a video! I just take a video and upload it 1 shot =)

13. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I ordered it as well and tried it a couple of rackets. It works well but it is easy to apply too much pressure so I'm being really careful. I've had one of Dennis' shared hole T grommets split at the outside even when I was being careful. Perhaps the simple one you have is easier not to apply too much pressure? Be careful either way. The flare points seem aligned well and is easy to align to the grommet. I can make a short video if you guys like to show the working and result?

s_mair likes this.
  14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That would be great! Funny enough, I also had a couple of splits when I used Dennis‘ big shared T grommets but zero with the Li-Ning ones. Maybe it’s a material issue that the ones from Dennis behave better with some heat applied.

15. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    I hope to see another videos on stringing from kwun, smair & kakinami. In Singapore, all sportshall are being closed, no badminton activities here. My hand is really itchy, wanted to whack some shuttlecocks.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

kakinami likes this.
  16. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

PLEASE!!!!!! I want!!!

17. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

No badminton in Japan either, USA has been closed even longer!! @kwun people want to see your videos!!! There are 2 fans that want to see!! As for me I moved to Japan and only work part time in a shop so difficult for me, I wanted to try Haribito pattern for fun.

s_mair and tjiew like this.
  18. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Not from kwun, smair or kakinami, but from me stringing a racket:

kakinami, kwun, Super85 and 4 others like this.
  19. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Nice. Keep posted Alex82

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I don’t now what it is, but watching stringing videos does calm me down a lot. Almost like some sort of meditation. Really enjoyed it!

kakinami likes this.