Need help comparing these slightly heavy rackets!!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Vincent604, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Vincent604

Vincent604 Regular Member

Please comment comparisons only if you have personally used any of the rackets mentioned, thanks.

Been using 3u stiff head heavy rackets all my life. I am a power player looking to improve drives, defense, and net kill without sacrificing too much power. Is it better to go less head heavy or 4u options of heavy rackets? I play 60% doubles, 10% mix, 30% singles.

Rackets I really like but flawed:
    1. 3u n9ii - very solid aero frame, too flexible (only flaw otherwise perfect racket)
    2. 3u Spira 21 - good stiffness, aero frame, solid, a tiny bit heavy, poor shaft durability (current racket, shaft about to break)

Rackets in consideration:
    3u Duora Z Strike
    4u TK9900

Rackets used in the past, all 3u:
    AT500, AT700, AT900P, NS9000X, VT80, LDVTF, ZF2, TK6000, TK9000, Spira 21, n90, n90iii, n9ii, Z Ziggler, Tantrum 300

Edit:
    Bought a 4u AX99, it weighs the same as a 3u zf2 on digital scale. Swing weight slightly lower than 3u zf2. NAMD works. It feels stiff initially but bends a lot mid hit and releases at steeper angle because of the bend, reminds me of the Arcsaber 10/11. Sounds LOUD on smashes, a lot louder than you think you have hit it. Overall feels weird for me.

Tested 4u ZF2 have a heavy follow through still, not that great for quick net kills because the racket wants to touch the net.

TK-F 3u feels a bit heavy and similar to Duora Z Strike, and 4u feels too light. Abit too soft.

4u TK9900 seems like a good balance overall for someone with similar needs as me.

#1 Vincent604, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Well, with
    you do need to work more for drives. You have to be prepared each time. Some of the rackets you state you used are not that stiff though. One thought was Babolat X-Feel Blast. Quite stiff, some head weight, suprisingly fast, just to add something on you list not many people have tried. I tried the older, black version, but the newer ones should be the same. Other than that, I cannot comment on much. Some 4U rackets might feel too light, the only one I've tried in that list is the AX99. I don't think it's too light (I enjoy head heavy 3U rackets myself). If the rumors about the newer batches being less head heavy is true, that might have changed though.
    I'm looking forward to trying the Adidas Wucht P7 and P8, those might be options, too, but I cannot comment on those yet.

Other than that, you will compromise on some things if you want something else. You can play fast rallies with head heavy 3U rackets, but you must be prepared properly for every shot.

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO it is always a trade off. I really can't tell nuances in head weight and aerodynamics which complement your abilities. I mean: If a head is heavier you need always some awareness and afford to play a drive. Especially when tempo goes up in doubles and the pace is high at keeping it flat in neutral situations. If you reduce the head weight a bit you can be more flicky and wristy with it, but maybe YOU loose your "POWER".

I played the Duo ZS 3U a short period and also the 4U ZFII. Both were powerful for me, but compact heads mean that you can't get lazy with them. Driving was for me okay, but I need to put some effort and awareness in them. Especially for my fingers it was demanding to flick their weights with the speed to whip the shaft. Walldrills can be very supportive if you wanna use a sledgehammer. For me both rackets turned out a bit demanding and making me tired after 3-4 serious games. I settled to more forgiving rackets, because age will catch everyone. I think that is impossible to hit the right spot. I think you should train with your current racket or realize that giving a slightly amount of power away is much more benificial in doubles.

4. Vincent604

I am willing to loose some power, but not willing to start using Bravesword 12 or Jetspeeds is what I ment.
    I did dry swing tests with all the Babolat Blasts, they have this weird air resistance feel and unstable shaft when swinging really fast.
    In games against weaker opponents, the game speed is slower, I can use 3u head heavy with no problem. But in harder games I find that 3u heady heavy rackets take too much preparation to keep up with fast exchanges. Also net kills are hard to hit hard without brushing the net. Should I look for a lighter racket or is it my preparation skills that needs work?

5. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    4u TK9900 is very stiff/feels very rigid.

6. Vincent604

I don't mind loosing a little bit of power to get better all around play. Just don't want to start using Braveswords or Jetspeeds.
    I'm also worried about the extra stiffness of the rackets you mentioned, otherwise I would have bought the ZF2 already, it is my favorite racket.
    My current racket is rated 5 out of 5 Victor stiffness. That's about the same as Yonex stiff rating only. Maybe if I play with extra stiff more I will get used to it?

7. Vincent604

Thanks. What is it stiff compared against? Do you think it's as stiff as the ZF2? or Spira 21 which is 5 out of 5 Victor stiff? Or TK9000 kind of stiff?

8. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    It is similar to ZF2, except ZF2 is slightly stiffer, more head heavy, and has a smaller sweet spot. It is also completely different form TK9000 which did not feel very stiff to me. Never tried the Spira 21 unfortunately

9. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

I do play the Satelite Blast myself and it does have a little bit of flex, but it seems to react pretty quickly. I have tried the X-Feel blast for quite some time and there is no instability in the shaft, at the same time it's quite fast due to the smaller head and not too much head weight. The connection between the head and the shaft is not the most stable, but there's no way you can tell that only dry swinging the racket. You cannot even tell hitting a shuttle as long as you hit the sweet spot.
    If you like the ZF2 in 3U, just get the 4U one. That should be the safe choice.

10. Vincent604

Spira 21 is just about as stiff as a Voltric 80

11. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Hmm it's been a while since I've used Voltric 80.... I think Tk9900 is slightly stiffer? Memory is foggy lol

12. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    That ist not 5 out of 5. MX80 was a 5 Out of 5.

13. Vincent604

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I know that the Spira 21 had a 5 of 5 rating, but just as stiff as a VT80 is pretty inaccurate. It's nearly a decade a ago when I had a Spira 21 or a VT80 in my hands. Victors 5 was extra stiff. I played MX80, BS10 for a very long time. Both 5 of 5 and IIRC stiffer than a VT80 and on par with ZFII.

15. Vincent604

Maybe Victor's gauge is inconsistent. Because using the Spira 21 next to ZF2 and Duora Z Strike side by side I can definitely tell Yonex is MUCH stiffer.

#15 Vincent604, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  16. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Count it that your Spira got softer after years of heavy usage. Must be made around 2012.