BWF Major Events Host (2020 - 2025)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Nov 29, 2018.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    all i can hope for is the chosen countries have the money when it comes time to actually host it. 7 years out is a long time to bank on and the economics/politics of the host partner can change fairly fast, whether it is within or out of their control... for example, i'm not surprised england was not chosen for any of the events. this is not to say they did not bid (i do not know at this point whether they did or did not), but rather, even if badminton england wanted to host any of the events they're constrained by their major source of funding: uk sport.

that in itself is sad because past major events held in england (wc, olympics, etc.) always have a great atmosphere.

Cheung, CLELY and stanleyfm like this.
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's also my concern. While it's good and necessary to make long-term planning but where economics and finance is involved, it's really hard to predict so far into the future. The best of plans can still go awry.

I'd suggest BWF make contingency plans for last-minute pull-out, have some richer countries/MAs (sponsors also play a part) who meet all the criteria on standby to take over anytime. Just a thought.

3. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

no surprise, the host city of wc 2021 is Huelva

4. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

After securing the Asian Junior Championships 2019-2020, Suzhou also joined the internal Chinese bidding process for 2021 Sudirman Cup