How to Host Tryouts

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by guitar_pic, Feb 20, 2019.

1. guitar_pic

guitar_pic Regular Member

MIS Sales Consultant
    Hello fellow coaches. I am tasked with being the only volunteer coach for my daughter's high school badminton team. We will be hosting tryouts soon.

So I just need some advice on how to pick out students for the team. Last year, the teacher/coach had accepted all the kids that came to tryouts because there was just enough to fill out the team. But looks like this year, there are more kids that showed more interest based on the sign up sheets.

So I just need some advice on what to have them do during the tryout sessions. Do I just have them all just play games? Do I spend 1 on 1 time with each and have them do some drills?

Thanks in advance!

2. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Is this tryouts to be part of the squad, or tryouts for the squad to be picked onto the team? Because I would approach them slightly differently.

3. guitar_pic

guitar_pic Regular Member

MIS Sales Consultant
    Basically I need to pick 8-9 boys and 8-9 girls to fill out the senior team and get them ready for matches with other schools......

4. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Teach them the basics of holding the racquet properly and watch them play in pairs.

The ones with the best footwork will be the ones to prioritise on your team list as this is the most essential part of playing badminton and those that have a natural aptitude to getting their feet in the right position to play their shots will obviously be less hard work training to be at the right level.