Singles racket, TK-F Falcon or AX88D or something else

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Swat, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Trying to find my holy grail singles racket.
    I have a N9ii which I like, but I wish it was a bit stiffer.

Have tried the 4U Falcon for a couple of sessions and I like it a lot. The shaft feels perfect, not noo soft and not too stiff. Very easy clears and good speed.
    I’m just not sure if I can get used to the goofy feeling head. If I can find a racket with similar shaft and a more solid feeling head, that’s what I like to try.

Been reading about the 4U 88D but I haven’t got the chance to try it. Is this what I’m looking for?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Affirmative. 4U 88D feels better. Although it is a tad flexier and head heavier than 4U TKF , which is actually advantageous for singles. However both pro doubles and singles players use it, eg. Ginting, Momota (before switching to 4U 99), Christie?, Fukushima, Kamura, Gideon

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

#2 visor, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  3. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Thanks!
    Would you say it’s stiffer than N9ii but equally head heavy?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Oh yeah, definitely stiffer. And similar head heavy.

5. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Ok, I’ll see if I can get to try it.

6. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Is momota using 4u aswell then? I read ginting was using a 4u 88d but thought he was one of only a handful of singles players using a 4u.. sure i read somewhere momota was using 3u

7. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Are you sure? In other threads people say 88D and AX99 is equally stiff. And I find 99 stiffer than TK-F...

8. visor

visor Regular Member

TKF stiffer than 88D... I'm referring to actual playing, not just bending in hand. You?

9. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Ok. As for the 99, just bending.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, just simple bending in hand is not a good way to assess shaft stiffness. 99, 88D, TKF all may feel same this way, but on playing, 99 feels flexiest and TKF stiffest due to 99 being head heaviest and TKF the least.

However there's something happening with NAMD and rotator generator system that makes the Astroxes hit harder than what their head weight suggests, while still allowing it to defend incredibly well.

11. Swat

Swat Regular Member

I have tried the 4U 88S, and I thought it was super on front and mid court, but too weak in the back court, for me. This seems to be a concensus among a lot of players.
    After seeing this post I wonder if I would be better of with a 3U 88S if it's still fast and has more smash power than a 4U 88D. Of course, it comes down to the player... what's your take on this?

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Probably best is for you to seek out other players with those rackets and ask if you can try them out. Personally I still think 4U 88D and 3U 88S are two of the best all around rackets currently out of Yonex, Victor, etc.

You'll see many pro players on the JAP and KOR team using them. I'm even thinking of selling and clearing all my other Yonex and Victor rackets to get a few more 88D because I don't think it can be improved any further.

Hans van Egteren likes this.
  13. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

In what department would you say that 4u ax88d is better than 4u ax99? To me they are almost the same racquets

Tec07 likes this.
  14. visor

visor Regular Member

I've also been quite curious about 99, it is supposedly head heavier and stiffer and meant for singles, but I play mostly doubles. I'm aware that currently only pro singles players are using it, no pro doubles players use it. My understanding is that it may be too slow and unwieldy for fast flat play that is common in doubles play.

15. Kokai

Kokai Regular Member

If you get the opportunity to try the racket(s) would be best.

I think something to also consider is a 3U 88D, I find the heavier racket flexes just a bit easier (assuming you can swing fast enough). For the record, I used a N7ii before coming to a 3U 88D and don't find it much heavier and it's quite fast for it's rated head weight.

16. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Unfortunately there are no 3U 88 where I live, so I would have to order. But, I guess the step from a N9ii to any of the 3U 88 wouldn’t be too big.
    The N7ii could also be an option, since I like fast rackets. From what I understand it’s just a tiny bit head lighter than the N9ii but a bit stiffer.

17. throttlementok

throttlementok Regular Member

4U 88D is a great deal. It has the power and speed at the same time, make it a perfect racket for singles and doubles.

If you are comparing 4U 88D and 3U 88S, I own both of them and I would say go for 4U 88D. In terms of power, 88D has more of it because the flex point is different. 88D flex point is in the middle of the frame to produce more power and 88S flex point is in the end of the frame near the T joint to the shaft to produce more shuttle hold for front court players.

If you are comparing 4U 88D and 4U 99. I used to own the 4U 99 and then I decided to sell it and change to 4U 88D. I would say they are NEARLY the same.

99 is more head heavy but 88D has more speed. So, it is a tradeoff for having a little less head weight for more speed that isn’t as little as the head weight you sacrifice.

Because of the full Namd, 99 also has more shuttle hold than the 88D and it feels flexier at the same time to produce more power, make it 99 more like a single racket than 88D.

For comparisson, I can play 3 hours no rest without any sore on my elbow with 88D but only 2 hours with the 99. You can feel it, if you are a hard hitter and do smash frequently. On the other hand, my brother use duora 10 which is a balance racket. When he tried the 99, he could feel pain on the elbow after several smashes, but he does fine with 88D and still got powerful great angle shashes. For defense, absolutely 88D faster than the 99.

SimonCarter likes this.
  18. Swat

Swat Regular Member

throttlementok likes this.
  19. visor

visor Regular Member

Trust us, just get it already and enjoy the new found repulsion. It's as good as we say.

20. Swat

Swat Regular Member

I probably will :) Thanks!