is playing barefoot okay

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jamila, Jul 29, 2018.

1. jamila

jamila New Member

Hi.

I play badminton a few times a week in a friendly class along with 6 or 7 other members, although nothing serious. I get blisters on my heels really easily when I wear trainers so have been playing barefooted.
    I have tried trainers with cushioned heels etc but still very sore during and after playing.
    I know playing barefooted is not ideal, but as it is mostly beginners and not too serious when we play should I be alright. It is a wooden sprung floor.

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Yeah.
    Why not? If you don't move explosively and the court owner is fine with it.

3. phihag

phihag Regular Member

There are a couple of reasons why playing badminton barefoot may be a bad idea:

If you are not used to playing barefoot, it is unhygienic; you can catch a number of fungi. Slight injuries or scratches by small rocks or so can open up your skin to various bacteria. If you are often going barefoot, then you will develop a thicker sole, which somewhat mitigates these problems.

Especially in doubles, injuries can happen if somebody steps on your toe or heels. Even in singles, if you stub your toe with a shoe it will hurt, but if you stub your toe barefoot (especially at speed) it's likely to get broken.

Shoes also allow you to move better. The cushion makes it easier and safer to land from jumps. A worn badminton shoe by a good player, unless specifically reinforced, will also have some significant drag marks of where the player slid over the surface, something a barefoot player would hesitate to do. Barefoot you can't as easily push sideways; our feet are made for walking and running, not quick sideways movements.

So I would heavily encourage you to seek out proper footwear. I'm a little bit confused by your description of shoes as trainers. Standard sports shoes, especially outdoor ones, are not suitable for badminton, typically because of overly large cushions and not enough sideways support. You should really aim for badminton-specific or at least indoor sports (e.g. squash) shoes.

In any case, blisters are not caused by missing cushion, they are caused by scraping over the shoe's inner surface, i.e. too much space within the shoe. You should aim for a better fit. If you can't find shoes that precisely fit you, get custom-built insoles. These precisely surround your foot and will not allow any movement within the shoe. Blisters can also happen if your skin is insufficiently thick, in which case playing barefoot seems like a very bad idea as well.

OhSearsTower likes this.
  4. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    In China people play barefoot all the time. If they have an hour or so to kill, they'll just wander into the court in their normal clothes/shoes, take off their shoes, and play with their friends for awhile. But that's a real occasional thing and very very low beginner, basically just hitting it around to kill time.

But that's for the occasional player. If you are playing weekly or a few times a week, even at a low level, no shoes isn't sustainable. Like Phil said, try to get some better fitting badminton shoes

Cheung and phihag like this.
  5. debbieuk

debbieuk New Member

I once forgot my trainers/badminton shoes whwn playing in a competition. As the daw had already been made by the time I realised I had to play barefoot. The floor was clean and I won a couple of games, but really disliked being barefoot. If the draw had not been made I would have opted out, but played as I would let others down. I always try and pack my trainers the night before when I play now.

6. debbieuk

debbieuk New Member

PS...I think it is up to people if they play barefoot or not. For competitions and competitive play I think footwear is a must. If it is just a bit of fun then you will probably get along with barefeet.

Cheung likes this.
  7. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

I did it when I was at school once, over 30 years ago, and I still remember that I got blisters! Move around fast enough and it will be as painful as bad fitting shoes. Moral of the story is, get some good fitting shoes, they do not necessarily have to be expensive.

8. diana21

diana21 New Member

I play in a friendly league and always go barefooted for the singles as I play much better. A few times i have forgot to take a change of footwear and went barefooted all evening. The floors are clean where I play so I have never had a problem apart from some people looking at my feet in between my games but that is there choice.

9. jamila

jamila New Member

Still playing barefooted as so called badminton shoes which I got fitted for me still gave me bad blisters, so no other option, I also asked to wear non slip socks but was told it would have to be barefeet or footwear as no socks are allowed which seems unfair if they are non slip.
    I really dislike spending the whole evening in my barefeet but have now tried 3 different types of footwear but all give me blisters.

10. Maria222

Maria222 New Member

Hi.
    I play at my local sports centre and i always play in my barefeet. The floor is lovely to jump on.
    I think barefeet is fine if you play for enjoyment and fitness.

11. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Which shoes did you try exactly?
    How long and wide are your feet?
    Do you have foot malpositions?
    Where are your blisters?

If you have a shoe that fits, you don't get blisters! So something's wrong.

12. jamila

jamila New Member

How rude! I have very soft feet and get blisters on the heels normally.
    My feet are not long and wide or anything wrong with them. Other people play barefoot and Iam getting used to it now.

13. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

14. jamila

jamila New Member

Just that people seem to doubt me when I tell them i get blisters on my feet with certain footwear. The soles of my feet are very soft as are my heels. I have tried a few different styles of footwear for sport but still get blisters at some point so end up going barefoot. I do not play badminton at a competitive level, only for fun. I think the blisters started at school when we had to wear plimsoles for PE lessons so I ended up doing PE barefoot all through secondary school which i got used to and thought it would harden my feet, but it never. I wear furry lined boots in winter which are fine but as you can imagine they are a no go for running around in.

15. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Never play barefoot, it doesnt make sense and comes with many risks.

16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I think the Korean national team train in a sandpit barefoot!

17. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

They go swimming barefoot too!

18. Maria222

Maria222 New Member

I see no problem playing in barefeet if you just play now and again, I always play barefoot. When at school we had to go barefoot if we forgot our PE shoes and this was a woiden floor which is the same as to what badminton is often played on. I only play about once a week or when on holidays and never had a problem playing batefoot.

19. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I've seen somebody play like that, they slide around a bit but they manage.

Perhaps you haven't found the right footwear

You could try to find a SportsDirect, and spend hours there trying on different trainers seeing what is most comfortable. Walking around in them seeing if there is any rub on the area where you tend to get them. Unlike other places SportsDirect have a serve yourself methodology whereby they have shoe boxes on shelves in all sizes and you pick your size. So you don't need to bother a sales rep to keep going to the back to get different ones.

You could also visit a place like

http://www.footfunctioncentre.com/walking-assessment.html

or

http://thefootclinic.co.uk/

And speak to them about your problem, even bringing with you a pair of trainers where you get blisters, and get expert advice.

One of those places offers a free assessment.. The other place I went to years ago and it was like £30, it's outside of london and not madly priced. Some of these places have superb technology.

They can probably help you to investigate what is going on inside your shoe that is causing blisters and can help you.

Are you getting blisters even when using running trainers?

Do you get blisters even when jogging or walking a long distance?

Is this with any trainers or just badminton shoes?

Personally I found that I get blisters when wearing most badminton shoes , not when wearing nike running trainers(though running trainers aren't recommended for badminton), and I don't think I get blisters when wearing really good badminton shoes like £70-£100 yonex ones like yonex aerus.