Question about Yonex 200m Reels - Aerosonic & BG80

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by pepe54, Sep 20, 2018.

1. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

Hey Bcentral,

Lately, my favorite store closed down, so that means no more Li Ning no.5 and no.7 strings forever :(.
    Due to breaking strings on an excessively frequent basis these days, I was looking at Yonex 200m reels for Aerosonic and BG80 as a cost effective alternative.

In particular, I remember reading somewhere that Aerosonic is exclusively manufactured in Japan only, but have been unable to confirm this. Additionally, I see the "made in japan" logo printed on both reels, but have my doubts as its quite common for Yonex to label that phrase loosely on SP coded racquets to my knowledge.

Has any one here purchased Aerosonic or BG80 reels? Care to tell me about your thoughts on them about batch quality, quirks to look out for, and anything else I should be aware of?

To any respondants, thank you to your future replies!

2. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Don't know where you're from, but you can always import those Li-ning strings.
    Aerosonic and cost effective should never be in the same sentence.

3. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

-Australia

In the past, it worked out to approx $7 / $8 AUD for individual li-ning strings;
    now ebay listings for the same are $44, or $15 from li-ning direct lol

Aerosonic worked out to about $6.30 while BG80 was $5.35. BG65 was $4.80 so meh. :D
    Aerosonic individual packs however, yeah I get what your saying lol!

4. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I don't think you do :)

You say you break your strings very frequently, and then ask for the thinnest string in the world... It has nothing to do with the price of a pack, but everything to do with durability.

You mention LN #5 and #7 which is quite the opposite. In LN, #3 is the more comparable string to AS, and #1 to BG80.

Instead you should be shopping for more durable Yonex strings. Perhaps NBG95?

I have no clue which tensions you prefer, if you're way up there, even 65/65Ti could be considered...

Cheers,
    Featherblaster

Rob3rt likes this.
  5. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

To be perfectly honest, I am thoroughly confused these days as I have the thickest, 0.7mm strings lasting 2 weeks on average while I have a 0.61mm aerosonic JP thats lasted 2months. Is this JP string rumor true? I'm not entirely sure myself, but I see plenty of annecdoctal evidence around. I don't understand how the past averages were as high as 3 months @ 31x33lbs. Tried dropping it from my usual 29x31lbs to 24x26 and saw no difference, same string, same stringer, same racket but both lasted 2 weeks, same breakpoint too. The reference case in detail can be viewed at - What is the fastest time you have broken strings?

I am at the point where I now think that durability is fixed at 2-3 weeks for non JP strings, regardless of diameter or material.
    The science into materials research basically say thinner strings with higher densities are both durable and thin with these advanced polymers.
    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.892.1288&rep=rep1&type=pdf

PS: 65 Ti lasted approx 1month-1.5 months but that was the old average. I'd expect this to be vastly shorter these days. Do you think tennis strings would work? I'd be willing to ask my stringer to attempt those 1.25mm strings if they fit grommets. Alternatively theres the 0.8mm ashaway ancient model to try out but it goes against what both science and experience says.

#5 pepe54, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  6. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Tennis strings... :)

If you honestly want to go thicker than feather, I'd try Squash.

Naaah. I think your data are not representative. Some randomness in the few numbers.

Also be aware, that generally shorter lifespan on your strings, could be due to worn out grommets..

Stringer, technique, clamps, cleanliness of clamps, adjustment of clamps, string twisting, sooo many causes of string damage exist.

And if you are comparing lifespan from different stringers, add that on top.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

ucantseeme likes this.
  7. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Agree with this. Definitely grommets have a big impact on string durability. If you hit cleanly you should not be breaking strings every two weeks at those tensions.

8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    What's loosely to write down "Made in Japan" on high ends which are made in Japan? SP is for the distribution of Sunrise. Has nothing to do where they are made.

IMO you fall into the category of persons who want to use high tensions with thin strings and complain that they break fast. If you mishit badly the tension becomes nearly not representative with thin strings. Especially at high tensions a full grommet replacement after 1-2 jobs is a must.

I would advice to go for a hard feeling strings and lower tension, instead of going for climbing ropes at high tension. Anything over 0.7mm become unplayable at high tensions.

You should also ask yourself why they broke and where? Worn out in the middle or broke at the top? Some rackets don't have a very high top-cross. Such rackets are prone to break strings faster. Also the way to cut the grommets can influence the durability. I cut them with a damn sharp knife to prevent sharp edges due squeeting which can cut strings.

offbad likes this.
  9. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    ROTFLMFAO

there are MIJ and MIT yonex racquets, region of distribution (SP, US, CD, AU, GR, HK, etc) has nothing to do with where it was produced.