Badminton ASIA Championships 2018 (Wuhan, 24-29 April)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Apr 2, 2018.

1. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Well, I hope so.
    The better player of the day will win tomorrow.

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Could be. But it didn't change the fact that Zhang Nan won today.

Though I desperately want to see those matches.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, it's only round 2, how tired can Yuta be, esp when Zhang Nan is also doing double duty, and both of them start the tournament fresh.

4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah thought so too.:p
    Though I was kinda disappointed that Ahsan/Setiawan couldn't make it through to face Liu/Zhang in QF. Curious to see how they have been doing so far since they had started this partnership earlier this year. Looked like it was quite a tight match according to the scoreline.

Hopefully the live streaming is up tomorrow. Can't believe we can't even have any access to any match at all.

5. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Ratchanok Intanon is out with an injured ankle. Based on her latest IG post it is not severe.

6. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Yuquall, see you at New Zealand Open Court 1 thread.

My best wishes are with Momota. BAC didn't respect my people enough. Allow me to say goodbye.

yuquall likes this.
  7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Depends on who is in better form and whose desire to win is greater.

8. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

That’s very worrying news for their home Uber Cup campaign...

9. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

Most of the case, yes.

yuquall likes this.
  10. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    She mentioned it's nothing serious. She should be fine by then.

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

QUARTERFINALS (05.00pm, 3 court) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...65918A-459C-48F8-BC12-70F18B5EAF67&d=20180427

*Match Highlights :
    - Srikanth Kidambi (IND) v Lee Chong Wei (MAS)
    - Kento Momota (JPN) v Chou Tien Chen (TPE)
    - Tai Tzu Ying (TPE) v He Bingjiao (CHN)
    - Sung Ji Hyun (KOR) v Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND)
    - Goh VS/Tan WK (MAS) v Kamura/Sonoda (JPN)
    - Lee JH/Lee Y (TPE) v Liu C/Zhang N (CHN)
    - Polii/Rahayu (INA) v Matsutomo/Takahashi (JPN)
    - Zheng SW/Huang YQ (CHN) v Tang CM/Tse YS (HKG)
    - Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai (THA) v Zhang N/Li YH (CHN)

Kento Momota steals the limelight of men's singles second round, he outmaneuvered recent All England champion and China young star Shi Yuqi in three games. Former world number two demonstrated his class to control the rhythm and dictate his Chinese opponent who looked blank, sluggish, under pressure, lack of self belief and failed to adapt Momota style. The Japanese left-hander will take on TPE leading man Chou Tien Chen for a place in semifinal. Today's big match will present top-seed Srikanth Kidambi versus two-time Asian Champion Lee Chong Wei, both players met twice in just concluded Commonwealth Games, Srikanth won over Lee in team event then the Malaysian hero took revenge at individual competition. On bottom-half draw comprises defending champion Chen Long against HKG hurdle Angus Ng Ka Long and second seed Son Wan Ho who has tricky test to overcome, world number 10, H.S.Prannoy.

It's end of BAC campaign for Thailand ace Ratchanok Intanon who suffered slight injury and asked medical treatment yesterday, 2013 World Champion lost to Korean unseeded Lee Jang Mi. Other notable names march into last eight, hot favourite Tai Tzu Ying will face He Bingjiao, Pusarla V.Sindhu meets familiar foe Sung Ji Hyun. 2016 BAC bronze medalist Saina Nehwal is expected to pass Lee JM, the Indian jewel outclassed local giant-killer Gao Fangjie, 21-18 / 21-8. One more China representative Chen Yufei gets HKG resilient player Cheung Ngan Yi to seek semifinal berth.

All INA men's doubles pairs were shown the exit door simultaneously in day two tournament, unthinkable but this shocking result will deliver a headache for PBSI towards Thomas Cup next month to determine who will be second MD to accompany the invincible duo Gideon/Sukamuljo. China and Japan pairs will fight for title contention at top-half of draw, Li JH/Liu YC against Inoue/Kaneko and Huang KX/Wang YL will meet Endo/Watanabe. Two intriguing clashes will pay attention on the resurgent Malaysian pair Goh/Tan will challenge Kamura/Sonoda while current World Champion Liu C/Zhang N have TPE darkhorses Lee JH/Lee Y.

Top-seed and world champion Chen QC/Jia YF are losing their magic touch and far from their extraordinary feat lately, succumbed to Indonesian number two Haris/Pradipta three times in a row after DEN Premier 2017 and INA Masters Super 500 early this year. Being drawn in Uber Cup group stage with INA, it seems China squad will rely on three singles as their doubles become more and more vurnerable also have grim prospect to overcome the Indonesians. Japan shows their mighty in this discipline, last year winner Matsutomo/Takahashi will meet Polii/Rahayu. Another title contender Fukushima/Hirota stay in a fray and face the risingThailand pair Kititharakul/Prajongjai. China last WD hopeful Du Y/Li YH and Korean new partnership Kim SY/Kong HY will fight each other to standing on podium.

Mixed doubles category will offer biggest chance for the host to clinch title here after their four pairs secure quarterfinal spot, major threat will coming from the Olympic Champion Ahmad/Natsir and Hong Kong southpaws Tang CM/Tse YS, the latter will set up a meeting with one of home leading pair, Zheng SW/Huang YQ. Another two, Wang YL/Huang DP and Zhang N/Li YH will see Indonesians Suwardi/Susanto and last year beaten finalist, the comeback Thai lethal combination Puavaranukroh/Taerattanchai. Zhang/Li downed newly-crowned All England champion, Watanabe/Higashino in last sixteen.

pcll99, It'sMeMeMe, Michael V and 2 others like this.
  12. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Mental is related with character and it's really difficult to build strong-willed character.

It'sMeMeMe, Cheung and skhai91 like this.
  13. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    I hope lcw and momota meet tomorrow will be very entertaining match

14. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Saina Nehwal praised Gao fanjie in the post match interview.
    " She plays exactly like Li Xuerui and she also looks like her"

" First game was close. In the second game, may be she was tired because of the tough match yesterday".

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

nilesh123 and pcll99 like this.
  15. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

haha before this tourney pbsi already has a headache deciding INA MD#2.... now they have giant headache :eek::eek::eek::eek:

16. Baddyforall

I dont know what match she was referring. Because Gao won her match in straight games against Nozomi Okuhara.
    It is nothing with the kind of training they undergo.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

17. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

it's interesting how Dora/JYF can lose to Della/Rizki 3 times in a row.... too bad they won't be facing each other in uber cup otherwise INA could get 1 pt from CHN

Michael V likes this.
  18. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

As close as invicibility word came, there is nothing close to match KevinGideon with 9 straight finals? but other indonesia MD really suck. well, its a small price to pay.

Actually seeing the group draw, i dont think INA is favourite to win ThomasCup anyway. Playing Korea and Thai consecutively they will be too tired (mentally) by the time QF come compared to other countries who got easy route to QF, that is if they made it through.

so just enjoy and hope for the best.

19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I won't be that sure to say Ahsan/Setiawan sucks yet. They were against a pair that possibly be MD1 of Chinese Taipei and seemed to be able to put up quite a close match of 3 games. Given a few more weeks of training, they would be more prepared by Thomas Cup. Though if INA went against CHN or DEN in MD2, I am having a hard time visualizing them winning any CHN pair or Con/Kold with their state right now. However I still see hope in Ahsan/Setiawan for MD2 spot.
    Hmm.. I am afraid I can't say anything positive as far as the other MDs concerned. The 2nd highest ranked Alfian/Ardianto couldn't even handle unseeded JPN pair.

Personally I really would like to see Marcus/Kevin winning the Thomas Cup for Indonesia but I still favor China to win it. :D

20. Baddyforall

live streaming plz