Doubles defence; steep cross court shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Charlie-SWUK, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I noticed a big issue that's cropped up a few times over the past week or two; when defending in doubles I'm having issues with very steep cross court smashes.

upload_2018-4-27_3-41-19.png

The issue is, when my opponent hits into the red area, I can't seem to create a wide variety of shots. In fact, about all I can do is net block with the teal arrow. The issue is, I'm playing right into the path of the net player. Not only that, my partner is very tempted to follow it in, which produces some confusion. There's this enormous open space I'd like to be able to use, but I just don't seem to be able to generate the shots to take advantage of it.

I have a different issue on the BH side; I don't seem to be able to find good contact to do what I want with the shuttle. It's different because rather than a reaction issue, which I feel is the issue on the forehand side, the backhand side is difficult because I don't seem to be able to find good contact with the shuttle due to the angle of approach. It's coming quite fast, and if I try to play the straight lift off of it, I feel like the string isn't making good contact with the shuttle, and that it's sort of sliding and not getting the full power out of the string.

For my preparation:
    Grip is half basic half backhand; racket is held in my fingers, with thumb on a flat face ready to hit backhand.
    Racket is held in front of the body, slightly bent elbow to make it easier to move
    Split step, going fairly low (if it's a straight smash, I will try to find the opportunity to drive the shuttle back, even if the handle of my racket is only about two feet off of the floor)
    Positioning is to try and best cover the middle/plausible angles

Going to be putting in some training for dealing with these shots next Tuesday, but I wanted to see what some BCers had to say; I know people like J4ckie and Cheung play a strong doubles game, and hoped there might be some hints on where to start looking.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Must be the lift being a bit short.

I tend to block straight to the opponent's left court tramline area or near there if I take it on the forehand and immediately following in. Doesn't need to be a fast block.

The other shot is to flick it up with a backhand to the left rear court. Even 3/4 length should be quite adequate.

If you find those shots a bit difficult, you might want to look at your defensive stance. Sometimes we might have a good stance and racquet position when defending straight but unknowingly change to a less effective one on the diagonal defense.

If it really is that steep, is it reasonable to expect yourself to be able to hit with a lot of variety? You may be better off limiting yourself to three options but producing good quality shots that set you up to change the rally around.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Should it not be fully backhand ?

Are you doing the roll of the racquet head on backhand defence? (like topspin)?

4. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    On the BH side I can get the 3/4 flick up, but I find it harder on the forehand side.

I'm trying not to be too extreme with my stance, I turn a bit, but not entirely; I do this to ensure if they play a clear I'm able to move backwards well. It's not conventional shot choice from them, but they are trying to find a hole they can exploit, so it makes some sense. I feel if I turn more, it'd put me in a really weird position to move backwards.

Thumb is still on the flat, but I'm holding the racket loosely enough to quickly manipulate it. Imagine between a bezel grip and thumb grip, with almost nothing of the palm touching the handle.

Not sure what you mean by roll of the racket head though.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

For sure it's harder on the forehand.

Might need to look at the feet position again. Maybe a bit square to the shuttle.

You may be emphasising this a bit much in the game. Try standing back a bit but leaning forwards more is one solution.

If the lift is a short one, the other thing is it's more likely to be cleared out.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Pronation of racquet head.

7. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I think the square on thing might be an issue, but isn't that more ideal for defending? I tried finding clips, but was unsuccessful; they usually aimed more towards the centre if they were playing a cross court style shot in professional games.

It's legitimately a cross court clear they'll play (rather than a lift); if shuttles are flying slow, they can basically smash a clear and the shot will still land in, that's when speed is the issue, and requires me to be able to move back quickly too.

For hitting defensive shots? It's difficult to say, I'd need to record it to know. I wish I could give a clear answer, but it tends to be quite quick and reactionary. I don't think my movement is exaggerated though; it could quite probably be shorter, but I think that'd be more along the lines of a natural progression of the shot.

If it's about the grip, I don't play any of the shots with that grip. It's the setup I find most efficient for switching to thumb grip, forehand grip, or supinating into a bit of a pan handle for driving shots back.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Cannot be totally square on. Either one of the feet will be forward perhaps around 8 to 12 inches. You can still defend like that though the convention is to have left foot forward because hip shots will be easier to defend. If you are too square with the feet, you can't move forward or back easily.