Help finding downloadable BWF Umpire Score sheet for newbie Umpire

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by pliem50, Dec 16, 2015.

1. pliem50

pliem50 New Member

yes
    I just finished my umpire's course and I am in need of a BWF Umpire Score Sheet. I queried on this site, but could not get one I can download. The one that has the link does not work. could some one help me?

Thanks

Peter:crying:

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

As a shameless self-plug, my umpire app can generate an empty scoresheet now: Just go to https://aufschlagwechsel.de/bup/#empty_match&scoresheet&court= and click PDF to generate a PDF, or Print to print (if that does not work, I'd very much appreciate a notice so I can fix it!).

BWF official materials use multiple different scoresheets. Across tournaments, there are differences as well. Usually, the scoresheet in use is whatever comes out of the tournament software as long as it has all the right fields.

Currently, at high-level events that is usually BTP by tournamentsoftware.com. I am not sure whether I'm allowed to post their scoresheet, but you can certainly download and install BTP, set up a match with empty player names, and then print out the scoresheet.

Oh, and I totally forgot: Congratulations on your umpire certification!

#2 phihag, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    drmchsraj likes this.
  3. pliem50

pliem50 New Member

yes
    Thanks for your reply.

It works like a charm, I printed a couple of sheets so I can practice. My first "officiating" job will be at the British Columbia winter games in February 2016. This will give me plenty of time to practice.

I admire your singles player Mark Zwiebler. he is getting really good.

4. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Excellent! If I may indulge in one more self-plug, my umpire app was always designed with learning in mind.

If you want, you can go to https://aufschlagwechsel.de/bup/ , set up a match, hide announcements (press A in the latest version), and then try to make the proper announcement. Press A again to toggle announcements to see whether you got it right. Additionally, the app will create a scoresheet (press Shift+S or click Settings -> Scoresheet, or Scoresheet when the match ends) which you can compare to your paper version after the match.

Any doubles match (more complex than singles) makes for a good test case. Let the first set go to 30-29, with a yellow or red card in between (rare but good to know).

To get a feeling for the real thing, I'd also suggest umpiring a local club game (without software), if possible a competitive one. That's what I did before my first tournament, which was quite some time after the umpire training and certification matches.

By the way, I am no more affiliated with Marc Zwiebler than you (probably) are with Michelle Li ;)

#4 phihag, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  5. pliem50

pliem50 New Member

yes
    I have seen Michelle Li at the Canadian Open Championship, but no connection at all.
    WOOOOW. your app is very cool. you are one talented person. Now I have to figure out if this works on my apple iPad....(^_^)

6. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Again, if it doesn't work on your iPad, I would certainly appreciate a post here or a private message. While I test mainly on Android devices, the app should certainly work on any iPad (maybe except the original one, since its software is quite out of date).

7. reyevil

reyevil Regular Member

DPT Student
    I LOVE your software. It works beautifully for me, mind you I have only used it twice at local club to test things out.

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

[MENTION=115949]phihag[/MENTION]
    This is an awesome piece of software! So easy to use and still has all the features necessary. Well done! Just to make sure - it needs a constant internet connection to work, right?

9. phihag

phihag Regular Member

No, quite the opposite - bup (my umpire software) is explicitly designed to work with intermittent or no Internet connection. When the software communicates with a live ticker (i.e. Internet / hall display) and loses connection, it will locally go on, and try to resume transmission in the background (of course, you need a working Internet connection at least once to transmit the event details to bup). The demo page that I posted here is not connected to any live ticker, so it doesn't need any Internet connection.

bup is also an offline web application. In any modern browser, if you visited https://aufschlagwechsel.de/bup/ once, you can access it when you're offline, even if you reboot in between. The only downside of offline use is that you'll be missing updates (naturally), but every other feature will be available.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That boosts it from "awesome" to "genius"! Wow, you really seem to have thought of everything important. And kudos to you for providing this for free!

11. phihag

phihag Regular Member

If you are situated in Malaysia (most likely Kuala Lumpur), clicked on the link I posted above about 2.5 hours ago, and are using Chrome on Windows, please contact me via PM. I got an automated error report which strongly indicates that malicious software has either been installed on your computer or a router in between you and my server.

12. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    This is a great app. Is there a way you can upload your app to the Android Playstore or Apple App Store?
    I tried to print the PDF but nothing happens.

13. phihag

phihag Regular Member

This is planned but not an immediate priority. Note that bup is already an offline web app - with most browsers you can bookmark / add to home screen and it will behave like an app, including being available offline.

But it's really fun when embedded into another system which stores the player names (and possibly shows the results somewhere online).

Thank you for the report! On my systems it works, but I'm only testing with current Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Edge and may have overlooked some strange setup. I'll look into it and reply via personal message. As a workaround, you can use the normal printing function.

#13 phihag, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  14. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Thanks to the generous help of @Xuser, I could confirm that the PDF generation bug has been fixed in the current version.

15. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    @phihag, excellent scoring sheet software. I ran a doubles and singles "match" through to get a good understanding of how to properly score a match.

16. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    @phihag, what does the "send export file" do? Also, how do I save the statistics to a pdf or print out?

phihag likes this.
  17. phihag

phihag Regular Member

It sends an export file to me ;) . This function is used when someone encounters a problem and mails me about it - if the problem has not been caught by automatic crash reports, I advise people to press that button. I also get the detailed data for analysis (e.g. models how long a game takes in the German Bundesliga) from some clubs by this way. You are welcome to send me your exports, but most likely you want the function Export (one of the links under the buttons, due to an oversight of mine which I will fix shortly at the moment only visible in event mode).

The export file contains data about the current match, the current event and all its matches, the current settings, and some technical information such as browser version and screen resolution. You can load it into bup at a later time via the Import event from backup file ... function.

Do you mean network or match statistics? So far, nobody ever asked about printing them - you typically print the scoresheet instead. Is that a use case you desire? I can add buttons to that effect. In the meantime, you can use your browser's printing facilities; on most desktop browsers you can press Ctrl+P, on all browser you can go into the browser's menu and choose Print.

If you are considering using bup for more than umpire education, feel free to message me either here or at phihag@phihag.de . For use at real tournaments or team matches, you'll want to have a network system that stores and distributes the match results - bup is integrated into multiple such systems, although many of them only offer German-language service.

In addition, bup is best with leagues it understands; I am happy to add the parameters (customized scoresheets, various event sheets, scoring scheme, team logos, umpire pay structure, rest between matches, import and export to tournamentsoftware.com or similar, preferred match order) for any league world-wide.

18. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    You will probably have a couple "test" matches I was figgling around with exported to you. I thought it would send something like a file to my PC or email, etc.

I was confused, right next to "Send export file" is the link for "Report problem/suggestion" so I thought it was 2 separate things.

Maybe I don't know where I should be at, but I don't see an "Export" link under buttons? What screen is exactly the "event mode"?

On my PC, the setting screen shows the last line as "Send export file" and "Report problem/suggestion", right above this is Mode: Umpire, Display, Referee.

I can do Ctrl+P as is, I had thought it was somewhere and maybe I couldn't find it.

19. phihag

phihag Regular Member

They are: Send export file sends an automatic file, without any user comments. Report problem / suggestion is the more interactive route and should open your mail client with a predefined mail.

Sorry, the name mode is maybe a little bit misleading. bup can work on single matches, and that's the default when introducing someone to bup.

However, in production use, bup retrieves the current event (typically a team match) from a server. When there's an event, you'll see a lot more options, such as umpire pay sheets, event sheets, network statistics and the like. Due to an oversight of mine, Export is only available with an event right now. I will fix that.

There are various demos to see how bup looks in different leagues. These are fully functional, the data is just not getting transmitted anywhere. Here is a link to a demo for the German Bundesliga:

https://aufschlagwechsel.de/bup/#bldemo

You can consult this list of all demos and ticker setups.

#19 phihag, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  20. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Thanks a bunch Phihag, I'll take a look into those links.