Out of action training?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Charlie-SWUK, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    So I'm not going to be playing for a couple of weeks. Did my ankle, got lots of work coming up, it's this that and everything. So I guess this has two parts:

1) Ankle rehabilitation for a level 1 sprain (3rd sprain on the ankle), can anyone direct me or provide resources on good exercises to ensure the joint comes back as stable as possible, with good mobility? I'm thinking maybe after last time, where I had a level 2 sprain, I didn't do enough of this and it ended up with the ligaments being stiff. It always felt like it wanted to pop, but would never go.

2) Exercises for improving shot strength that don't strain the ankle too much; I've been doing decline pressups to improve core and upper body. I need weight to make squats harder, and find I can't do one leg squats well - they're out of the question anyway right now. I've also been trying an exercise where I perform smashes sitting down, just from the wrist. I'm doing 4x20 at the moment as fast as I can while keeping stability and form in my arm. Any tips or ideas on this? Thinking a squash racket would make it even better.

2. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

1. The king of mobility exercises for the ankle http://www.allthingsgym.com/heavy-barbell-ankle-stretch/

There should be discomfort but no pain. If the barbell hurts your thighs then you can use a weight plate, heavy sandbag, etc.

The glute maximus and glute medius are stabilizers in any lower body movement, so exercises like mini-band walks, glute bridges, clamshells, etc will help. You can also use balance pods and sand running to help strengthen the muscles in the ankle and foot arch.

2. How severe is a level 1 sprain? Can you stand on it without pain?

Cheung likes this.
  3. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    It rolled over and went crunch. There was minor swelling, some discomfort. The pain has all but gone within a week as has the swelling. Tiny bit of bruising. It's where you stretch the ligament and cause very minor tearing as a result.

4. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

You can try bulgarian split squats, single leg deadlifts, and glute ham raises on the floor. You don't need a lot of weight for these exercises and they all target muscles for badminton.

I agree with the racquet dry-swinging you're doing, there's not much else that really replicates smashing other than jumping on court and...actually smashing haha. Using a squash racquet is a good idea, and you can also try for 6 sets of 60 seconds rather than 4x20.

5. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Hopefully in a couple weeks when I go back to playing I'll have a meaner hitting action... :D

6. visor

visor Regular Member

You don't really need a squash racket, just add a racket cover onto your racket and that would provide enough weight and air resistance. Make sure you incorporate some whipping and pronation action.

Several ankle strains already? Are you wearing an ankle brace?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think a squash racquet is good so long as you bring the head up early for preparation, point the racquet upwards towards the ceiling and then start the stroke.

Personally, I don't like using racquet covers.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This year, I have done a lot of the exercises that RC47 mentions. They are something that I get added in as a routine during my taekwondo sessions. In those sessions, we do about 20mins of cardio and exercises. It has taken about 4 months to improve - being older means fitness doesn't come as easily.

I do feel more stable running around court but I still have to think carefully about my footwork on court. I have that dreaded tendency to turn my front foot inwards on a lunge.

9. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I wear ankle strapping as little as possible. 2 Lvl 1 sprains isn't anything too concerning, the lvl 2 sprain was bad.

Pronation and whip are what I'm going for, I'm basically not moving my elbow much, and just trying to get a good flick forward with the racket.

This is just me sitting down, arm in the air, using very wristy swings as fast as possible, as preparation isn't much of an issue here (although it is an issue I need to work on in general).

Weirdly enough I haven't done any damage with lunges. It's always rear left corner. Done it twice there now, with different handedness footwork each time (right hand round the head did it, and this time, was just stepping through on a shot).

10. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I rolled my ankle at the start of the year. Heavy heavy bruising, a huge amount of swelling. My first real injury in years :(

For the moment, walking on it will be good. Do as much exercise as you can short of 1: pain, and 2: no risk of further injury (i.e. you don't feel unstable).

This could include shadow movements, jumping, skipping, squats, weighted lifts etc. It depends on how you feel. I got a lot of good strengthening from using a wobble board, and then just a general mix of squats, lunges and jumps of different varieties.

I think archer squats are a really good exercise for mobility - I didn't do enough of that and have lost some of my easy ROM. I am working to build it back up again, but should have done more earlier on. Sigh.

For upper body - wrist work with racket head cover. Shadow 100 of every shot (drives, net kills, overhead stick smash, backhand, lifts).

Good luck!

11. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Sounds like you did yours worse than I did mine (this time).

So racket cover vs squash racket?

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

What exactly are these?

I prefer squash racquet...Or I just use my heavy training badminton racquet.

I also keep a couple of resistance bands in my bag. Take them to work and in some off time, do some exercises.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Problem with squash racket practice is you don't get to build the explosive whip and pronation of the shot. And if you try to do that and force things the wrong way, you may likely over strain ligaments and joints in the process on the follow thru when the racket mass keeps on pulling on your hand way much more than usual with your racket, leading to another set of injuries.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

14. Drive Warrior

Drive Warrior Regular Member

Engineer

I would suggest rotator cuff exercises with resistance bands. Helps me handle hh rackets with confidence

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Agree. I prefer to keep a tight technique.

My philosophy is explosive power can only take you so far. Improving or maintaining better technique raises your potential ceiling far more. YMMV

16. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Mmmm, I don't even know if I have a suitable cover for doing it with anymore, think most of mine are full length. :D

Cheung likes this.
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I don't have any head racquet covers anymore either.

You can do calves at work as well. Should be plenty of steps around. When you try to balance and do the ankle extension, it is still training your proprioception.

18. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Archer squats probably have numerous other names. Think of it as more of a side lunge - feet wide apart, both feet facing forwards, and you squat/lunge to one side, and return to middle and repeat on the other side. On the opposite leg, you can either have your foot point upwards (to get a good hamstring stretch) or keep the side of the foot on the floor (for a good adductor stretch).

edit: my preference would be the racket head cover to train force production, and heavy racket/squash racket to practice endurance (e.g. when its hard to keep your racket up during repeated drives).

visor and Cheung like this.
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I have seen the band put just above the ankles or just above the knee. Any big difference between the two?

20. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    The good news is, I seem to have 90% of mobility range back in it. It's a lot more comfortable to walk. It's a little sore if I bend my foot inwards (the same way I rolled it), but other than that...

Truth be told maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I was having problems with my ankle feeling stiff no matter how much I stretched it, and was getting cramps in my left leg - especially if I put pressure on the underside of my foot. The joint feels a lot more relaxed now. Perhaps it had scarred awkwardly after I did the level 2 sprain and had severely reduced mobility, and that led to some issues. Maybe this is a chance for me to rehabilitate the joint better than I did last time, and for it to become more effective.