Situation in doubles...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by SSSSNT, Apr 26, 2015.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Here I would like to ask about situations that I find where I play badminton (recreationally).

Situation 1:

doubles-defending-formation.jpg
    My partner would be the smasher at the back and I stood at front (as pictured), waiting to finish off weak returns. However, sometimes I get a partner who isn't a good smasher. Just okay. The opponent often return it with a cross court drive/attacking clear and my partner would then scramble to get to the other side and we lose the advantage that way.

Now the question: what should I do differently knowing my partner isn't that good of a smasher? Since this is recreational, I can't really change the way my partners play. Should I stand more to the back? more to the middle line? Do I make it my responsibility to get the cross court clears? What strategy can I employ here for myself so we don't lose too many points that way.

2. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
    sometimes . u n ur partners using which hands to play plays a small factor

3. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
    sometimes u can ask ur partner to lift it bk if he cant smash or drop then switch positions voala. but note u hav to b quick if not opponent smashes down it will be dangerous

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You can take the cross court lift under that situation. The further towards the centre line your partner is when playing the smash, the less clear cut it becomes. Then it is dependent on your own assessment of your partner's ability

5. lausiekeik

lausiekeik Regular Member

If both team are right-handed, in your mentioned case, try this:
    a) when partner smash from the left square box, you move to front center from right square box and prepare.
    b) when partner smash from the right at square box, you still remain at left square box or slightly move in front to prepare.

6. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Prepare more for the cross court, but only on your mind. Your position is still as pictured above, but your mind should focus roughly 70% on the cross.

And if your partner is smashing from the side or even the corner, you should also take a step back

also communicate with your partner that you will take the attacking clears and drives, but if it's the usual lob, leave it to him.

7. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Cross court lift - you could stand somewhere closer to the middle of a court, like a singles player. When a cross court lift is returned, turn and move back and take the attack initiative. Another alternative is if your partner can cover sideways fast, then get him to variate his shots instead of smash to keep the attack.

Cross court drive - you have to try and defend it where possible. If you block it at the net, then be prepared to move in front or another drive/push could return. If you return with a drive, your partner and you should split side-by-side. If it's all the way to the back, then I'm afraid not many choices are left. One possibility is if your partner can cover sideways fast enough, clear it to the opponent's back court. Alternatively, drop or block it at the net. If he's not fast enough and you are the one returning it, it's probably good to try returning it to the back court and recover as soon as possible to take smashes/drops.

In the worst case scenario, if both of you end up in a defensive position, try to get them to the net or push/drive the shuttle back and gain back the initiative.

8. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    Hey [MENTION=121835]lausiekeik[/MENTION], your mentioned tactics is simple, good idea and workable, I like it! For recreational right handed players I think that is our notable weakness.

9. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Thanks all I will try to apply some of the suggestions.

The thing is if I am covering the cross court attacking clear, I'm not sure I'm quick enough to also cover the front (killing weak returns). But we'll see.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

if your partner's smash is weak, then tell him to do fast drops to the weaker player or to the middle, mixed in with some clears and half smashes

as long as he keeps it going down and tight to the net, that's good enough... better than forcing a smash that will get massively counter attacked

11. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Is your partner smashing down the middle (channel attack) or is he smashing down the tramlines? If the latter, then you can bet that a cross court return will be forth coming as it is pretty easy to generate the angle from the backhand defence. Suggest that if your partner smash down the middle towards the right hip of the opponent on the side. You should move closer to the middle of the court in preparation for the cross court lift/drive.

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    What I tend to do if my partner has a weak attack, is to stand further back and more central but anticipating and covering the net at the same time. I will be slower to the net, but I can swop with him/her quickly if the next one is a lift.

It also gives you a little more time and wider mid court area so it is easier to get to short mid court lifts/blocks.

If you looking to take the next lift, you need to angle your feet such that your heels are pointing in the general direction of your partner behind you. Lee Jae Bok used to have some good videos on how to do this - look them up on youtube.

13. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

You mean this one?

[video=youtube;V4tzo4dHBUM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4tzo4dHBUM&index=10&list=PLCD11E53C97DF70FA[/video]