Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Just because he claimed he had experience but he couldn't win, doesn't mean LD's chance to win is fat zero. Maybe he is too old now to win, but not LD. :cool:

Lin Dan, jia you!

Justin L likes this.
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2018-12-07/doc-ihprknvt5433430.shtml

At the press conference yesterday evening (6th Dec), Xia xuanze has only one piece of advice for Lin Dan if he is to persevere all the way to , just one word - self-discipline.

He added, age is irreversible , indeed an issue Lin Dan has to face up to, if he's not painstaking enough in managing his training and lifestyle, his standard may slide even faster. As far as his ability is concerned, Lin Dan's current playing style is relatively more energy-saving in comparison with the even older Lee Hyun Il who in November this year was still able to capture the Macau Open title.

Xia Xuanze is of the opinion that, as for Lin Dan, his (Lin Dan's) thinking is different, the outcome for him will also be different, if he cannot be self-disciplined, then his decline is even faster.

At the same time, XXZ indicated that there is a lot of tournaments to play in 2019, for such an outstanding athlete as Lin Dan, the coaching team will develop a targeted strategic plan for him; moreover, the competition in Men's Singles is relatively more acute, having to face the assaults of many young athletes, CBA will give veterans like Lin Dan and Chen Long fair and equal opportunities to see who can distinguish themselves.

#11382 Justin L, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  3. Catherine zheng

Catherine zheng New Member

Lin Dan, nicknamed "super Dan", was born in linjiang town, fujian province on October 14, 1983. Lin Dan won the men's singles title at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and defended his title at the 2012 London games. He is the first player in badminton history to win a grand slam with the titles of Olympic champion, world champion, World Cup champion, Asian games champion, Asian championship champion, all England champion and a number of world badminton super series champion

Lin Dan career achievement no one can achieve, he is an unprecedented after the general existence of no one. In this year's many competitions, Lin Dan has repeatedly stopped the first round. But people don't blame Lin Dan for this, because Lin Dan has done well enough, just because of his uncontrollable age. Lin Dan himself also know that retire was the best choice. do you think Lin Dan should retreat?

Simeon likes this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Linjiang town? I thought it's Longyan city.

Anyway, we've discussed about the best time for Lin Dan to retire, I myself would've preferred after the LOG'12, the Incheon Asian Games 2014, or the Rio'16 Olympics, but, apparently, he is adamant to give himself one last shot at another Olympics Tokyo 2020.

The question is , can he qualify for one of the two spots by finishing at least second among the Chinese contenders at the end of the Olympic cycle. For sure, it seems a tall order as he not only has to be very disciplined (Xia Xuanze's earnest advice to him), totally focused and dedicated to the goal (no more celebrity lifestyle or distracting commercial activities), really up the intensity of his training (vitally important) but also, most of all, defy the ravages of age as he will turn 36 going 37 by then.

Professional badminton at the highest level is an extremely physically demanding sport, who can fight against Father Time ?

I guess the only way to force Lin Dan to come to terms with reality and give up, gracefully, is for not only Shi Yuqi and Chen Long but also the sudden arising of another young Chinese player next year to relegate him to 4th position in the national team. Otherwise, if he is hovering at 3rd position , he will still think he has a fighting chance to edge out the number two contender whoever he is during the Olympic cycle.

That's not to say I don't wish Lin Dan success, on the contrary, it will be marvellous, even mindblowing if he can do it - for being number two in the national team is something indeed when you've the likes of Shi Yuqi and Chen Long as main rivals - it's just that wishful thinking is one thing, harsh reality another.

As the Chinese saying goes, there is no such thing as a never-ending banquet, that is, all good things must come to an end. Yes, absolutely, Lin Dan has accomplished far more than anybody can dream of in badminton, we really can't ask for more.

5. cboptkh

cboptkh Regular Member

Lin Dan will be the top seed in Thailand Masters in Jan 2019. Hopefully, he can get a good start for the new season.

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah, let's see whether the winter camp would prepare him in better shape.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Actually, Lin Dan is disrupting his winter training, which usually last until the third week of February, to play the THA Masters. At most we can say he's using the tournament as part of his training, though it's obvious he just want to improve his world ranking or prevent it sliding further so as to avoid meeting the top seeds in the early rounds.

8. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Maybe this video has been shared and seen by many people here. I watched it today and couldn't stop myself from posting here.

wade likes this.
  9. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Why does he bother to compete when he knows he has no chance of winning?
    What keeps him going in the face of so many defeats?
    These are questions that only Lin Dan himself can answer.
    A great player he truly was.

If I were in his position, I would want to exit the sport when I were still at the top so that in this way, the whole world would remember me being at my best.
    I can only guess that he is not doing so because of pride and real belief that he can compete one last time in the 2020 Olympics, maybe even winning some sort of medal to seal his tremendous career.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

#11389 Kento, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  10. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

That's what makes him different from you and others. He'll still give it a try. No one is unbeatable. Lin Dan in his prime was also beatable just like nowadays Kento Momota. And this year he's got the worst win loss record. Your first statement shows you seriously have some issues with achievements of the GOAT in badminton. Again , no offense intended.

11. Kento

Kento Regular Member

You have me wrong friend.
    Check what I added.
    :)

12. cboptkh

cboptkh Regular Member

Nice video

Justin L likes this.
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-01-04/doc-ihqhqcis2926063.shtml

Brice Leverdez: Beating Lee Chong Wei at the World Championships is the most unforgettable moment in my career. My idol is Lin Dan. If I don't play badminton, I'd be a tennis player. In 2019, I want to win a higher medal at the European Championships, achieve better results at WTS500 and above tournaments, and get into the Top 15 world ranking.

14. minions

minions Regular Member

That's great to hear about his statements. He is already over 30, but he still wants to rise up. But, getting to the top 15 is not easy.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, Brice is a late bloomer but, at 30, time is not on his side, Still he might just do it the next couple of years.I understand the French Team has an ex national Chinese coach for several months now, his name slips off my mind , only remember he's a contemporary of Luo Yigang.

16. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Must be Zhou Junling.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think you're right. Thanks.

18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

19. TyronLarson

TyronLarson New Member

#11399 TyronLarson, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020