India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Has anybody watched Aadya Variyath play XD? At the swiss open tournament, she paired with Satish and was considerably fast and aggressive at the net. She used to play WS earlier.

Posting a link here. You can watch her play at 7hr 20 mins

https://www.youtube.com/live/UTprpLjMeNg?si=HIojYnEceIA4eh6U

Sent from my CPH2447 using Tapatalk

2. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Satish does most of the running around. They need to work on equal load sharing and better rotation. Both are singles players put together to try and qualify for Paris. Which unfortunately is not going to happen. They need high level coaching and 4 years together. Satish has to stop playing singles if they want to become a top pair.

3. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Doubles planning for the future.

2024-28 Olympic Cycle
    WD
    needs new pairs. Ashwini is too old to continue to play at a good level for 2028.
    Tanisha/Treesa Age 24 in 2028
    Gayatri Age 25 in 2028/young WD partner
    This gives them 4 year to reach a good level, understanding and rank.
    The main problem is this will not happen unless Gopichand makes this change.

MD
    Satwik/Chirag should continue

2028-32 Olympic Cycle
    Tanisha, Treesa, Gayatri with young WD players. Since they all turn 28 and Gayatri 29 in 2032
    There will also be young WD pairs.

MD
    Satwik Age 32 in 2032/ young MD partner
    Chirag Age 35 2032/ young MD partner
    They would need a young partner to share the load and they would provide help raise these players to a good level.
    There should be other young MD pairs as well

#5403 badmuse, Mar 23, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    Baddie lover likes this.
  4. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Well written. Spot on what you wrote about Gopichand. Also, to see Satwik and Chirag age will be kinda awkward. Exciting what future holds for them- not only this year but also what next 7-8 years hold for them.

badmuse likes this.
  5. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

It's an all Indian WS Final at Polish IC. Anupama Upadhaya beats Tanya Hemanth in 3 games. Anupama had her foundation in Almora under DK Sen. She trained for a year at Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy. After Covid her mom got sick and she shifted to Delhi. She now trains in Delhi and Assam at the NCE (National Training Center) Tanya trains at Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy.

https://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/tournament/ED763604-3019-41A0-B345-C0F82FC523A1/matches

6. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...h-padukone/articleshow/108737590.cms?from=mdr
    ‘Sindhu can handle pressure. She needs belief’ India’s badminton legend Prakash Padukone

How did you and Sindhu get together and how has the partnership evolved over the time?
    The truth is I didn’t even know Sindhu well. I had met her at a few functions but that was about it. It was when I read in the papers that she was going through a low that I decided to reach out. I asked Viren Rasquinha (former India men’s hockey captain) to put me in touch with her. I was clear — at best she will say no and that she doesn’t need my help.

I was perfectly fine if she said so and would understand as well. But I didn’t want a situation where I didn’t reach out and later feel I should’ve done so. That’s how we got in touch and when we did it seemed Sindhu was also waiting to speak to me. Glad I made the first move. For the first few weeks she was playing tournaments and all I could do was speak to her on the phone.

I just tried to give her confidence because she was on a low. She has the shots and the game and all we needed to do was work on her mentally. Thereafter when she came to Bengaluru, we did some tests and realised that she needed to lose some body fat. For a whole month we kept measuring her body weight twice every day and other parameters and the nutritionist worked on her full time. She shed two kgs and it was the fat and not the muscle mass.

We used sports science to understand where she needed to be physically and worked on it as a collective. She did her best and soon was in decent physical shape. But she also needed match practice. For the first few weeks between January and February we had time to work on her in the academy and get her game back to where she should be. I’m not for once saying she’s back to her best. But from what I have seen I have every reason to be optimistic and hopeful.

With Sindhu having made the Olympic cut, how do you see the next few months?
    No doubt that she still has some distance to go before she’s at her best. Having said that, we have a detailed plan in place. After the Asia Championships in April and the Thomas and Uber Cup, we’ll have three months to get ready for the Olympics.

Though the plans aren’t yet final it could well be that we go outside of India to train and travel straight to France from there. We have identified a few areas where she needs to put in more work and the endeavour will be to make her self-reliant.

She shouldn’t have to look at the coach at the end of every point. She should be in a position to know which shot to play when and not keep checking with the coach. The shot should automatically come in her subconscious mind. The same shot that I would’ve asked her to play if I was to instruct her. That’s where we need to get to. You need to be at your best at the Olympic Games and we’ll make sure that she is physically and mentally there. She will be chasing her third consecutive Olympic medal.

Undoubtedly, there will be pressure. But five world championships medals and two Olympic medals don’t come if you can’t handle pressure. So that’s not something I’m worried about. She needs to be mentally confident of her ability. She needs to believe she can do it and beat the best. If she’s in a good space mentally it will automatically translate into her doing the right things on court. It is fairly simple.

Are you satisfied with Team Sindhu?
    That was the first thing we did. When she first came to me, she was not eating the best, not doing the right things for her body and we needed to make a few important changes. While the coach worked on her strokes, the nutritionist worked on her diet and the physio made sure she was physically back at her best. It’s certainly not me alone. It is the team. And I think my role is being over hyped.

If she wins a medal at the Olympics maybe you can give me a little credit but for the time being let’s be clear — it is the team that is doing the job and not just me alone. Lakshya has turned the corner, too. After several first round exits, it’s good to see him make back-to-back semifinals in the French Open and All England and confirm his Olympic berth. Unlike Sindhu, where the issue is more mental, for Lakshya it is more physical. He needs to stay injury free and be physically at his best all through. At the moment, he is losing steam in the decider. It happened in the French Open and the All England.

He clearly has the game. But he needs to be at his physical best to execute the shots at crunch moments. In the Olympics you will not get a single easy match. You need to be prepared for physically challenging matches and can’t say all my matches were long. There is just no room for any excuse. Lakshya is surely getting back to where he should be. Like for Sindhu, we have clear plans for him as well and I am very optimistic and confident we will be able to get him in his best shape for Paris.

Baddie lover, Sumanth99 and badmuse like this.
  7. 80plus

80plus Regular Member

upload_2024-3-26_19-7-26.png Wrong info by Time of India -Story by Manne Ratnakar!. Still Asian Ind. Championship(+Kazag IC) tournament is there.. that result may not change the qualification list?.. Still Gayatri/Tressa don't have some chance?

Baddyforall and mohans like this.
  8. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Badminton coverage by major newspaper outlets in India is below par. Most of them print either outdated or irrelevant info. For eg., in this article- the author is clearly not following the badminton qualification cycle, he didn’t know the remaining tournaments, he didn’t know Srikanth has already missed the cut. If he was really invested in writing a good content about qualification status, he should have focused on the possible scenarios for either of the IND WD pairs to qualify, like they do those NRR scenarios in cricket.

The other day, I was reading a sportstar article (published before the team manager’s meeting before the tournament start day) mentioning Lakshya & Sindhu will lead India’s charge at Spain masters. When we all almost knew that LS would pull out of that tournament, this article went into a bit of detailing about what was stake for LS after the loss previous week. Just pathetic!

Only Indian express does a decent job of covering badminton in India. But I still can’t hold myself to read through Shivani Naik’s articles which are bombarded with adjectives & catchy phrases. It is appalling to see the vast difference in the quality of coverage between cricket, and the second most popular sport- badminton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80plus, Cheung and Baddyforall like this.
  9. Baddyforall

That's Times of India for you. Believe me. My brother had some experience with that paper.

#5409 Baddyforall, Mar 26, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  10. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

BAI has not officially named Indian Team for Thomas/ Uber Cup.

The following names have been uploaded on BWFTournamentSoftware. They have till April 13 to make changes.
    The Women's team retains the same BATC squad. Has Tanvi Sharma recovered from her injury at the Senior Nationals and is she fit to play. Tanvi has not played a single match since the injury. They need a reserve WS player.

The mens team has 5 MS and MD. Chirag Sen and Pruthvi's doubles partner dropped. Kiran George and Priyanshu Rajawat selected.
    This means both Satwik/Chirag will not be able to rest. They will have to take turns resting, with either Chirag/Satwik playing MD2 with Pruthvi or an MS player forced to play MD2 with Pruthvi. Not the ideal scenario. They need to have a reserve MD player.

Uber
    https://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/...d=6F316812-3674-4E44-B5A5-7770D9FFEAE3&tid=20

Thomas
    https://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/...d=6F316812-3674-4E44-B5A5-7770D9FFEAE3&tid=19

#5410 badmuse, Mar 27, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    Baddyforall likes this.
  11. Baddyforall

I just checked it. BAI announced the players .
    https://www.sportskeeda.com/badmint...as Cup squad: MR,, Lakshya Sen, Chirag Shetty.

badmuse likes this.
  12. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

13. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Baddyforall likes this.
  14. Baddyforall

badmuse likes this.
  15. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Olympic Qualification as of 31-03-2024
    MS
    HS Prannoy, Lakshya Sen
    WS PV Sindhu
    MD Satwik/Chirag
    WD Ashwini/Tanisha

MS, WS and MD are mathematically confirmed.
    WD is hanging on a thread. Ashwini/Tanisha are not in the top 16 but at 20 are in qualification contention with 4 other pairs.
    Treesa/Gayatri are virtually ruled out since they need to make the final or win the Asia Championship.

16. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Checked the draws of BAC 2024.

MS: Lakshya will play against top seed SYQ in first round. Tough draws for Prannoy and Kidambi considering their forms.

WS: Sindhu should reach QF where she’ll face most likely Yamaguchi.

MD: SatChi if they reach QF, they’ll most likely face HokiKoba, if they win then WangLiang or FajRi in Semis. I feel this will be very challenging for them as they’ll face best intimidating Chinese crowd. I hope they retain their title which will give them much needed confidence in run up to Thomas Cup and after some months, Olympics.

WD: Tough draws for both the pairs. Not expecting much. Wins against higher ranked opponents is always a bonus.

17. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Such a delightful interview. I pretty much like the coaching style of Padukone academy where the complete emphasis is on building a strong team around player to make him/her self sufficient on the court. This is something that I don’t feel is happening in Gopichand academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badmuse likes this.
  18. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Baddyforall likes this.
  19. Baddyforall

Ishaan's new beginning and Anmol's career starting from this touranment. Anmol has to play qualifier. Just checked. One opponent in the qualifiers got promoted to main draw , so Anmol has to play only one other opponent. But still i feel if she played as if she played at Badminton Asia Team competitions, she may nail the title. Hope she play to her potential. Once she got selected to Uber cup, she may get very valuable points that can make her to reach the career best ranking.

badmuse likes this.
  20. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Baddyforall likes this.