Do you 'close' for the summer?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by SheFellOver, Mar 24, 2023.

1. SheFellOver

SheFellOver New Member

Hi. Just wanted to get an idea about whether your club plays all year round or if you 'close' at any time, perhaps for the summer?

Do you have a 'season'?

Please let me know!
    Ben

2. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I play at a casual club on Mondays
    A league club on tuesdays
    A different league club on Wednesdays
    With a large group of friends on Thursdays
    with a strong league club on Sundays

Only the Wednesday club "close" down for the off-season. And even then they have someone arrange a "summer club" in the same venue.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There is no off season for badminton.

It's an indoor sport and not subject to seasonal conditions.

4. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

In France, the vast majority of sport clubs (not just badminton) close down for 2 months in July and August.

Every year, I try to keep the club I handle opened during summer but the city hall and the gymnasium we use (community hall) never allow us to play during summer, saying it is the months they maintain and fix the gymnasium (They just clean it once at the end of August). I'll try again this year though.

Cheung likes this.
  5. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

In context for England, the "league season" is on and "off season" is May to end of August. Matches are played between September and early May for the league I play in. @Cheung

6. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

In the Netherlands league season is from September to February/March. Most, if not all matches are played on the weekend, on Saturday or Sunday. And the groups in the league are usually 8 teams or more (note that I left in 2016, so before covid and everything), so you have a match almost every weekend outside of holidays. This means that if you are a tournament organiser and you want players to show up, you will schedule your tournament from March onward. So from March to June is tournament season.

Although there are notable tournaments just before the start of the season in early September and during the christmas holiday, between chrismas and the new year if you can believe it. Those usually had the best atmosphere, because everyone showed up, whereas during the tournament season people might pick and choose.

Most clubs close for the summer, but most clubs have individual members that organise replacement sessions. But these are not club sessions.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    In England, there are still county tournaments running from May to end of August.

No need for any off season except Christmas:)

8. ubootsg

ubootsg Regular Member

semi-retired
    I used to live in Singapore and being in the tropics the game is played all year round. We don’t really have seasons as such, perhaps wet and wetter? Have been living in NZ the last 7+ years now and play casually at a local club. Badminton is kinda considered a winter sport here for people who participate in other sports that’re played outdoors. However the club I’m in has Summer sessions - it just depends on demand. If there’s enough people the sessions are booked, if not then no games then.

9. Battista Donati

Battista Donati New Member

We rent a sports court twice a week at the sports center, so we don't close anything :)