Traveling with badminton rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sami700, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Sami700

Sami700 New Member

I'm traveling soon and I was thinking of buying a racket since it's not really easy to get my hands on really good rackets here. So what's your experience traveling with one? Did you face any problems with airport security?(I'm getting the racket from Denmark btw)

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Im more concern about how to packaging it.
    1 thing for sure all belonging need to put under the seat or inside the storage upside, or cargo. You cant carry them all time inside the plane.

You might be carefull enough to handle ur stuff, but not sure others will do the same for other people belonging. They might just throw their bag & accidently press ur racket.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My experience is I carry the racquets on board as hand luggage and then store in the compartment above the seat. Have done this many times. I usually only carry three racquets.

Sumanth99 and LenaicM like this.
  4. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Same here. I usually bring 2 rackets on board in my tennis/badminton backpack.

Cheung likes this.
  5. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

actually it is prohibited to carry rackets on to the aircraft and it all depends on a security, whether they now it, I had to buy additional luggage just for the rackets couple of times and since I had not any case usually they would come with paint chips after that...

speCulatius likes this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Interesting. I have never had a problem in many years. Most times I am travelling to Malaysia or back to U.K.

Which airlines were you using? And travelling to which countries?

7. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist

This was my experience as well. And they were kind enough that the racket bag/sports bag didnt count towards your cabin allowance.

For me I was flying UK to Beijing to HK and back to UK.

8. Barkov Maxim

Barkov Maxim Regular Member

Could you show document which claims so?
    I did not travel last two years, but before I have no any questions to travel with rackets as a hand luggage.

9. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

it happened for me two times in London, after that decided not to take rackets if I do not have check in luggage.

10. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

In my experience, different airlines have different policies. SQ allows rackets as carry-on (back then, don't know now), while ANA doesn't so you have to check it in.

Checking in a racket bag as sports equipment is relatively safe. I wrapped my bag with plastic in the airport, since my bag is white so it wouldn't get scratched. I had 2 rackets inside that time.

Recently, I successfully traveled with 2 rackets in a large suitcase with clothes, checked in for long-haul flight with 1 change of plane. I somehow followed this video:
    . I used bubble wrapping plastic and used boxes to shape the extra cushion and packaging.

11. rakenrol

rakenrol Regular Member

unfortunately badminton rackets are considered as sports equipment that are not allowed as carry-on luggage. it would really depend on the airline if they implement it. reasons range from size restrictions and that it may be used as a weapon. i remember before really wanting the case included in the LCW/LD limited edition collectors rackets. was hoping a rich friend would buy it so i could buy the case from him. :D
    Screenshot_20230331_104651_Google.jpg
    [​IMG]

12. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

I carried my rackets on board, slung behind me inside a cloth bag (very insconspicuous). On the plane just put it inside the overhead luggage compartment, Don't bring them inside a big badminton bag, that'll bring attention to your valuable racket n enable the airline to classify them as extra charge sports equipment

Cheung likes this.
  13. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

I've taken a single racket a few times in my suitcase. I would simply use plenty of clothes to cushion it on all sides, and enough so it doesn't move around. So far I haven't noticed any damage on them, but then they aren't 'prized possessions'. I would be more reluctant if I had to take a £150 racket compared to my £40 ones.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

So a soft bag is the key.

15. rakenrol

rakenrol Regular Member

if you have the money you could put it in a pelican case. ;)

16. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Flying next week and that thread had me thinking twice about carrying my rackets on board. I do not want to present myself at the gate thinking they might ask me to check-in my rackets.

Found this check-in solution which looks pretty interesting. I would just place my rackets in a reinforced box/carton to avoid any damage [that trolley bag is soft]. But the concept is pretty cool.

17. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Just experienced having my rackets refused from being carried on at MNL airport. Had to check them in.

SG airlines allows it (was not a problem on my way from Paris to SG amd from SG to Manila) but on my way back from MNL to France, the airport security, which is not affiliated with SG airlines but with the Filipino government, doesn't allow passengers to carry rackets in the terminals.

Conclusion: bringing rackets as a carry-on luggage will depend of the policy of the aircraft company and the airport.

PS: last time in MNL (2018), they never bugged me for the rackets.

#17 LenaicM, Apr 21, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
  18. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I've always put them in a large hard plastic suitcase with plenty of protection - usually with my clothes or towels wrapped around each of them and it's never been a problem for me (touches wood). As long as you don't have something hard pressing against the racquet and it's not up against the suitcase lining/shell it should be fine. If it's a new racquet I would leave it unstrung until I got to my destination, for extra peace of mind.

I wouldn't use the soft fabric type suitcases/bags as they don't offer much protection unless you're taking it as hand luggage with you - then again, it's probably too long to be carried as hand luggage?

Martynas likes this.
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Definitely not. I have done it many times over the years. I have carried three racquets in a soft bag and stowed them in the overhead compartment. Never a murmur from the ground staff nor plane staff.