Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

Can't believe he lost in the finals lol

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It's great of him to reach the final though, to be honest. I was worried that he would be booted off much earlier with his slowness haha. Glad he could hold up at least till the final, luck was on his side too.

Oh well, but looks like his problem is more physical than other so not all bad news. More training might help raising his performance. At least if he could raise up to last year AE level he might have higher chance. That's a big IF though:)

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Blowing a hefty lead like this twice as such an experienced player is quite an achievement, tbh.

visor likes this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

So he has achieved quite a lot then. Just need to improve for more.

5. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Should just retire, he’s in terrible shape and playing in slow motion compared to 1.5years ago

6. minions

minions Regular Member

Well, only he can decide his own fate. If he wants to keep playing, no one can stop him.

7. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

He choked lol. Can't see it any other way.

Good thing is that this is his first tourney back from holidays. As much as I'd like to see it it's gonna take something otherworldly to happen if he gets to go to the next OG.

It's gonna be hard now to beat players 10 years or more younger than him since he prolly the most studied player

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

He will probably retire after Tokyo 2020 (whether he makes it or not), might as well give it his all for the last time. He has nothing to lose after the unflattering results he had last year.

9. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Loh Kean Yew, 21 year-old Singaporean qualifier ranked at 125 beats Lin Dan ranked 13 to win the Thailand Masters 2019 final and spells the end for the latter's long and illustrious career I believe. There is no way Lin Dan is above Cheng Long or Shi Qu Yi in the Chinese rankings nor is he likely to be so he should forget about selection for the Olympics and just retire gracefully.

What was most shocking about the manner of his defeat was that he was many points ahead in both games but surrendered it lamely. He looked out of condition and was fatigued during the 2nd half of the second game when he was around 7 points ahead.

Lin Dan has nothing left to prove to anyone. He has been there, done it all and got the tee-shirt so why humiliate himself in the twilight of his career by losing to players outside of the top 100?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

#11409 Kento, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  10. rubyatiy

rubyatiy New Member

All of these which are not the type because of those racket

11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

When will this winter camp conclude? Sometime this month?
    Because I see quite many CHN players' name are included in German Open including Lin Dan's.

12. AlexMak

AlexMak Regular Member

player
    Lin Dan is too old and it is very difficult for him to recover his stamina nowadays

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If I'm not wrong, just less than a week more to go. Some of them have to play the Spanish Open from 19 to 24 Feb.

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I see.
    Seems like LD is registered in German Open, All England Open, and Swiss Open. Another 3 consecutive tournaments for him. Not sure he can handle all of them, but all the best.

He is facing Lu Guangzu in R1 German Open, btw.

15. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Some severe words for such a player. I think he is just enjoying badminton, the lifestyle associated to it and doesn’t owe anything to anyone, especially fans. If he enjoys playing a little bit longer past his prime it’s pretty fine I’d say.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Neither is anyone talking about LD owing them anything nor is his life style associated with badminton :D he is probably the wealthiest, or at least one of the wealthiest players in the world (only LCW should be close I think)

17. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

The post I quoted was suggesting he should better retire than humiliating himself with nowadays’ performances. I think no one should dictate what an athlete like LD should do and by not owing anything to the fans I meant LD doesn’t have to follow (probably doesn't even know) what fans want him to do such as “he should forget about olympics’ selection and just retire gracefully”.

As for the lifestyle associated with badminton I was referring to the direct lifestyle of an athlete such as the travels to tournaments, the daily practices, the competition, etc.

18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

AE draw is out, Lin Dan against Tsuneyama in R1, (if he made it) will play either Nishimoto or SWH in R2.

Nonetheless, Good luck LD! Jia you!

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, there is some truth to that. I think a lot of spectators think less of TH after seeing him play poorly for years. I didn't take that post as a request, as in LD owing anyone his retirement at a certain time, but a wish for him to not emulate that career path. That being said, I think he probably has contractual obligations and will play until the 2020 Olympics at least. He has shown indications of actually not wanting the pro athlete lifestyle so much anymore, since he's got a family now and all....so I'm rather certain it's just his Yonex deal that keeps him competing. Well, let's see if he's good for a last hurrah following this winter camp, and can at least get close to qualifying for Tokyo - should be the easiest time ever to qualify as a Chinese MS player, there were some games where a WR#3 wouldn't have gotten in as 2nd player :D

LenaicM likes this.
  20. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Good point, he might have some deals and sponsorships obligations too, you must be right. As for his family he also stated he wanted his son to see him plays I believe which can be a strong motivation too.

Either way the way I see it, us fans of the sport (not necessarily of the player, personally I’m not a LD fan in particular or any athlete actually) should simply respect and understand the choice of those athletes whatever is the reason without calling their defeat in a final “lamely”. And if some spectators think less of them well I’m not sure it’s something that will affect the athletes. Look at LD, say he has contractual obligations with Yonex and that’s the only thing that keeps him going. Well from his point of view he’ll make some extra income while some spectators he never heard about might think less of him? I guess if I’d be in his position I would be fine with that :cool:. In his entourage it must have been something discussed extensively and I guess that’s what count for him.

Anyway I doubt he will qualify for Tokyo 2020 but if he does it will be because he deserved it and like you said let’s see if he can make it :)